We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Everest Base Camp Trek: Charging Camera Battries

Ottawa, Canada
9 posts
Save Topic
Everest Base Camp Trek: Charging Camera Battries

I am planning an Everest Base Camp trek... Primarily to photograph... So will arrange with guide to accommodate slower pace for it... I was wondering if there are places where I can easily recharge my battries at the end of the day... Or should I plan and bring additional battries and/or a solar charging kit? Thank you in advance for your responses.

Espoo
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek: Charging Camera Battries

You can recharge in most lodges, but need to pay, and sometimes there is either no power, voltage is low or there are too many trekkers. So definitely you should have enough batteries to last for 3 days at least.

Not reviewing the pictures saves a lot of batteries...

Ottawa, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek: Charging Camera Battries

Thank you for the response... I usually bring enough to last a week... But with the cold temperature the battries tend to drain faster... I shall pack an extra one or two. Have a great day!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek: Charging Camera Battries

Lodges have battery charging facility all along the route as but said above due to low battery power sometimes you may not be able to charge your battery. There is power house until Pangboche, further up from there you will be rely on solar power; ie - Dingboche, Pheriche, Lobuche, Gorakshep etc.

Ottawa, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek: Charging Camera Battries

Thank you for the response... I shall look into a solar charging kit... Seeing how I will spend a day or so along the way for acclimatization... Should not be too bad to have a charging pack.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek: Charging Camera Battries

Take plenty of spares - you may find free power points in Namche, which could cover you for a few batteries/a week up high.

Decent solar solutions are very expensive - the current required to charge is high, so you'd be carting around a large panel. Cheaper just to get a few more batteries.

I looked into using AA batteries with a grip - AA are easier to charge - but in the end I was fine with 4 camera batteries, only topping up once above Namche (but not needing to, just being safe).

Where possible, avoid GPS, excessive autofocus, excessive image reviewing etc to save batteries. I didn't see any issue with 'cold drain'.

If you're going in a peak period, there will be a queue for the powerpoint and you may not get access...

Ottawa, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek: Charging Camera Battries

Thank you for the response... I can always keep half dozen packs inside my jacket that should keep them out of the cold... Looking at the solar panel prices... It is still cheaper to get half a dozen battery packs... Much appreciated for all of your responses.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek: Charging Camera Battries

are you doing stills only OR lots of time lapse stuff, movies?

unless you are doing the later, couple of Lithium Ions will do just fine

i have a full frame and had no issue with just one spare on my trip to EBC last year

i just had to charge it every other day to make sure

yes charging at the lodges will cost a little bit

all in all you will spend 20 bucks or so - big deal!!

here's the link to my EBC pics btw

http://trippinneupaneaj.blogspot.com/

be sure to share yours in the forum - wld be good to see

good luck

Ottawa, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek: Charging Camera Battries

Thank you for the response... And for sharing your pictures... They will help me frame my shots... I will be taking stills... May try some time lapse... Not sure yet.

9. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek: Charging Camera Battries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 06:16