We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trekking companies in Kathmandu? Plus advice.....

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
79 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Trekking companies in Kathmandu? Plus advice.....

Hi,

I am looking to head to Nepal in October, for (approx) 4 weeks. I am curious to know if anyone can recommend a local company with whom I can arrange a trip with in the Himalayas?

I am looking at doing Annapurna BC, and also a safari into Chitwan (meet some elephants).

But are there any other moderate treks you can recommend for the Himalayas? I am a travel photographer, and so BIG/EPIC/AWESOME mountain scenery is always good! I want to keep the trip relatively easy for this one, as it is my first time here. But I would like the best scenery :)

Drew

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trekking companies in Kathmandu? Plus advice.....

There are so many companies in Nepal and most regular travelers have their own recommended agency. I am sure that other regular posters in the forum will later come up and post their recommendations.

Annapurna Base Camp Trek is excellent itself, I think finding an alternative with similar excellent views won't be easy however there are some other routes like Khopra Trek, Annapurna Dhaulagiri Community Trek, Jomsom Muktinath Trek, Langtang Valley, Gosainkunda Lake etc. These are quite beautiful treks that you will surely glad doing. All these routes are excellent and gives you some special photography spot.

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trekking companies in Kathmandu? Plus advice.....

Hi Drew...welcome over to the Himalayas...glad that you in photography and it's the best time for you to capture the mountains interms of the weather...Nepal is not just bout the mountains and just in and around the kathmandu valley you can spend easily a week to capture the rich culture of the dominant community of the valley the Newars...the medieval villages that still takes you back in time where you'd love taking pictures of the people or the local lifestyle as you make your way towards the alley ways...regarding chitwan...if you really want to get a feel of being in the wild I suggest you Bardia National Park in the far west...you get to capture the the lifestyle of the Tharu communities there and gives you a feel of being a part of their community...and for sure the trek over to Annapurna base camp is just awesome...and again you just gotta be prepared to share a room when you closer to the basecamps...can assist you with the arrangements!

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trekking companies in Kathmandu? Plus advice.....

Well just missed out on something...October is the festive time here n you'd love to capture those moments and is always best up in the mountain villages and for sure you will be feasting with the hospitable people of the mountains😁!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trekking companies in Kathmandu? Plus advice.....

drew

since you have 4 weeks in nepal and looking for some other small treks besides ABC

why not fly to lukla and trek to namche – and see the Everest range up-close

(trek to shyangbohce in the morning – hike down stay in khumjung the next night even)

and trek back to lukla in a day and fly out

it would take you total of 5 days or so

with about 12-13 days total to do ABC and back

and another week to do KTM and Chitwan

you would still have a week left and can easily fit this in

not sure if it fits your bill of "BIG/EPIC/AWESOME mountain scenery"

but see some of my pics below - to give you some idea ;o)

…blogspot.com/2013/11/everest-trek-2013.html

as for trekking agency there are many to choose from with a quick google search

pay attention to the reviews

i have used alipineexodus.com for years

you can inquire with them

all the best

aj

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trekking companies in Kathmandu? Plus advice.....

Hello,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

Annapurna Base Camp Trek is very popular trek which gives you mountain views from touching distance. It's excellent trek even though I do not like couple of days after Chhomrong and before Deurali. This trek won't disappoint you.

Post #01 has many names to consider and do some research on them if you are really looking for alternatives.

The option to Everest region on #Post 4 is another good option as well. Everest region has it's own significance for trekkers. This is another excellent trek.

Another one that comes to mind which is slightly higher than previous ones in Annapurna Circuit Trek till Jomsom, then fly to Pokhara. Unlike most other routes mentioned above it's circuit route where you will be entering and exiting different way.

I have been trekking with a private guide for many years who opened an agency called Himalayan Leisure about an year ago, you can check about them as well. His web is www.himalayanleisure.com

Good Luck!

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trekking companies in Kathmandu? Plus advice.....

Have a look at

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c136157/Nepal…

A couple of years ago I put together a list of companies that had been recommended by genuine trekkers:. send me a message if you'd like a copy of that list.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trekking companies in Kathmandu? Plus advice.....

I haven't done the Annapurna Base Camp but i heard that a short trek to Poon Hill would give you amazing views nonetheless and will be somewhat representative of the Annapurna Range. I did do Everest Base trek, but given that you only have limited time, i would suggest doing the Langtang trek. Its a short trek (usually 8 days return, but my sister and i did it in 6, including the bus rides there and back) in the Everest Region and you can catch a bus from Kathmandu to Syabrubesi, where the trek starts. We did this one alone (we were 2 girls) but i recommend you taking a guide, as this trek is not as crowded as Annapurna and Everest Base Camp.

Here is what our itinerary looked like:

Day 1: Bus from Kathmandu to Syabrubesi (8 hours) then from Syabrubesi trek to Domen

Day 2: Trek from Domen to Ghoda Tabala (6.5 hours)

Day 3: Trek from Ghoda Tabala to Langtang (2.5 hours) then Langtang to Kyangin Gompa (3 hours)

Day 4: Hike up to Kyanjin Ri Peak (3.5 hours return) and trek down from Kyangin Gompa to Ghoda Tabala (3.5 hours)

Day 5: Trek from Ghoda Tabala to Syabrubesi (a bit under 8 hours)

Day 6: Bus from Syabrubesi to Kathmandu

The Langtang Trek is said to be the third most popular treks in Nepal. It is absolutely stunning. Even after doing the Everest Trek, Langtang is quite comparable, as you will get similar landscapes (from the monkey rainforest to dry terrain, to green hills, rocky hills, and finally when you get to Kyangin Ri you see the Langtang range with its snowy peaks). It is also less expensive to stay at guesthouses because there are less tourists and the people from the villages are very welcoming. Its also a pretty easy trek since the altitude is not as high as Everest, great for a first-timer. I would really recommend this short trek for the beautiful mountainous views.

**TIP: Take the Tourist Bus to or from Syabrubesi (and not the local bus or the jeep - Local bus: they stuff up the bus with passengers to the point where people are sitting on top of you, and Jeep: they stuff up the jeep so you're 11 people total in a 7 seat passenger car... I would rather have my own seat in a tourist bus!)

If you would like to do the Langtang trek with a guide though, i recommend Good Karma Trekking (very kind, genuine company, very accommodating to your needs and budget - I'm a budget-tight backpacker so i was thankful to come across Good Karma)

So from Langtang you can easily take a bus back to Kathmandu and from Kathmandu the Bus to Chitwan is about a 6-7 hour bus ride. We did the Chitwan tour on our own. The Bus stop is only walking distance from the main street, so no need to take a taxi there, even if the Nepalis insist you take one. My sister and I stayed at Traveller's Jungle Camp, where we booked the elephant ride in the AM and the Jeep Safari in the PM. After the elephant ride, make sure to make your way to the elephant bath (its free - just ask your hotel where it is, its on the main street) its really a lovely experience. If you tip the elephant guide you can wash the elephants and take pictures with them.

The jeep safari is great too to spot wildlife, if you're lucky you'll spot a tiger! After the jeep safari, catch the sunset by the lake :) One day in Chitwan is definitely enough (unless you want to go Canoeing and/or for a day walk) but if you're short on time, the elephant and jeep safari are the 2 highlights.

That gives you more time to see Kathmandu and Pokhara (which was my favourite!!)

- Kathmandu you can take 2-3 full days to see everything i would say, but if you want to enjoy and relax, 5 is best. Lots of culture to experience there. Also Kathmandu is the best place to buy your trekking gear as it is cheaper and more available than Pokhara.

- Pokhara is more of a laid-back city. It was my favourite. The sunset by Phewa Tal lake is stunning. It is less crowded than Kathmandu and you can easily find yourself walking around for hours and enjoying a peaceful meal on the main street. Here we went rock climbing with Three Sisters Trekking (this company has their own rock climbing wall in Pokhara and you can do so for very cheap!! The view up top offers some nice shots of the city) Check out Sarangkot for a sunrise view of the Annapurna Range: stunning!!

In Pokhara you can easily spend a week there to just chill out.

Hope the advice helps!! Enjoy your time in Nepal :) This country has marked my heart forever.

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
79 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trekking companies in Kathmandu? Plus advice.....

I'm glad to head that. It looks good! But I love the suggest mountain terrain (like EBC) so was hoping it would be like that. But I have done some research in the meantime and ABC looks beautiful!!

I have noted your treks, and will be sure to keep them in mind, maybe even do one too on this visit :) thank you

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
79 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trekking companies in Kathmandu? Plus advice.....

Hey Intothewild: Yes, 100% I want to get a feel for the culture - see monasteries, the locals, the way people live. Hell, that is a very big part of my trip :)

Okay, you are not the first person to mention that about Chitwan. I think I will listen and so Bardia instead. I have heard it is more 'authentic' which is always a good thing :)

Thank you so much for your reply, I will take heed of it. I am very excited for this trip beyond words!

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
79 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trekking companies in Kathmandu? Plus advice.....

Dude you photos are F***ING amazing!!! Seriously, I just fell in love looking at them. Wow wow wow!! The photos of Ama Dablam are beautiful beyond words!

Okay in regards to doing the trip you suggested, I am looking to head to Nepal again in February, but that time to do the Everest region. So all the areas from Lukla are going to be left until then. But I assure you, especially after looking at your photos, they are 100% happening.

Can I ask, are you on Instagram? Maybe we could keep in touch as i'm sure I will have a question or 2 for my March visit?

Thanks so much for sharing your photos