We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus and Taxi fare from Gorakhpur to Kathmandu

Bhopal, India, Asia
Level Contributor
47 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Bus and Taxi fare from Gorakhpur to Kathmandu

How much time it will take to reach kathmandu from gorakhpur and what will be the fare cost?? Give some tips about travelling to kathmandu and pokhara? And things to keep in mind to be not scammed??

35 replies to this topic
Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus and Taxi fare from Gorakhpur to Kathmandu

It will take about 13/14 hours from Gorakhpur to Kathmandu. There might not be direct buses, you need to come to Sunauli first, might take about RS 150 - 200 and then from Sunauli - Kathmandu is about 9/10 hours, costs about 700 - 800. Not sure about taxi fare. I heard some scams happened to Nepali travelers or workers returning home from India but not sure about foreigners.

To read some travel tips then scroll top right to see top questions.

Bhopal, India, Asia
Level Contributor
47 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus and Taxi fare from Gorakhpur to Kathmandu

Thanks for the info...but thats terrifying :)

R K
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus and Taxi fare from Gorakhpur to Kathmandu

I've only done this trip in reverse, but I've heard repeatedly that there are no direct busses between gorakhpur and Kathmandu. Gorakhpur to Sunauli is 3 or 4 hours, from sunauli you are probably best off getting a cycle rickshaw to Bhairawa (takes around 10 minutes) where there are plenty of busses to kathmandu. I've repeatedly heard that companies advertising direct busses from gorakhpur to kathmndu are scams, but that's second hand information

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus and Taxi fare from Gorakhpur to Kathmandu

Some information is posted here regarding scam: http://wikitravel.org/en/Sunauli

If you are afraid of long bus ride then just get a flight to Kathmandu from Bhairahawa airport. That would be quicker though costs more.

Sydney,Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus and Taxi fare from Gorakhpur to Kathmandu

NO direct buses between Gorkhapur and Kathmandu and even if they tout saying its a direct bus you will have to change the bus at the border. Once your at the Nepal/India border and cross into Nepal, get a taxi to Bhairawa (NPR300-500 approx) bus depot. Last bus leaves for KTM about 3 or 4 pm.

The only Indian registered buses that I have known coming directly from Indian cities to Nepal are those that cater to Hindu pilgrims (package tours) and you can see them around the Pashupati Temple vicinity.

Bhopal, India, Asia
Level Contributor
47 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus and Taxi fare from Gorakhpur to Kathmandu

Thank you so much!!! This is really helpful and i will be going by this!! :)

Visakhapatnam, India
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus and Taxi fare from Gorakhpur to Kathmandu

How can i move with My Family From Visakhapatnam to Kathmandu & Janakpur

Edited: 21 February 2015, 10:53
Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus and Taxi fare from Gorakhpur to Kathmandu

Hi: I was interested as well in going from Gorakhpur to Kathmandu. Did you go? If so, how did you go and by what means (train, plane, car, etc). Btw, I'm an English teacher in Gorakhpur from USA and your English is great!

Best, Karen

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus and Taxi fare from Gorakhpur to Kathmandu

Hi: I was interested as well in going from Gorakhpur to Kathmandu. Did you go? If so, how did you go and by what means (train, plane, car, etc). Btw, I'm an English teacher in Gorakhpur from USA and your English is great!

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus and Taxi fare from Gorakhpur to Kathmandu

Reply to: Bus and Taxi fare from Gorakhpur to Kathmandu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted