We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to visit Nepal?

Tel Aviv, Israel
2 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe to visit Nepal?

Hey everyone,

I will be traveling Nepal from next week for about a month (until late September). In light of the recent floods, I wanted to know whether it's even safe to visit the country? I will be trekking the Annapurna circuit (from about mid-September) and possibly the Lantang valley too, and spend some time in Kathmandu valley and Pokhara. Is one of these regions unsafe for travelling (risks health/life)?

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to visit Nepal?

there are risks in life whatever you do

based on the news I can only imagine every person has evacuated Israel as it seems unsafe - can you confirm if that is the case

non of the areas you intend visiting have a particular danger relating to the floods that closed the road to Tibet

all the areas of Nepal have dangers relating to unstable paths, traffic, wild animals or altitude and you should be cautious during your travels and don't travel alone outside the cities

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to visit Nepal?

There are risks from travelling on the roads in Nepal, but this is the same for most mountainous countries due to the nature of the roads.

In wet season ou are at increased risk from landslides and flooding, but no one knows where these will occur, and it's quite rare for buses to be hit by landslides....far more likely they will fall off the side of the road during dry season!

But this is just a small part of the appeal of this beautiful country, so come and experience it. Don't be worried about travelling, anything can happen anywhere.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to visit Nepal?

I would say that, Overall, Nepal is a very safe country to visit.

Obviously a traveller should take the normal precautions that they would when travelling anywhere, in Kathmandu you shouldn’t wander around unlit streets late at night, it is best to try to choose a hotel with a well lit entrance, preferably on a main street, it isn’t a great idea to use a rickshaw late at night when you re on your own and certainly not a great idea to wander around drunk or incapacitated by drugs.

In the countryside, the main thing is Not to trek alone as nearly all the incitements involving trekkers have been against solo travellers.

But – There are many countries that are a lot less safe for a foreigner to travel and that probably includes your own.

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

4. Re: Is it safe to visit Nepal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 05:16