We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warm Clothing for ABC in Early - Mid March

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Topic
Warm Clothing for ABC in Early - Mid March

Hi,

I do not know much about winter clothing so I would like seek your advise here.

I am thinking of doing the ABC trek from early March to Mid-March.

I would like to know how will the weather be like along the trek? I have not firm up the exact trek yet (or I wonder is there any alternative trek to ABC).

I have a TNF jacket similar to this.

bnyconline.com/The_North_Face_Atlas_Triclima…

I intend to get thermal wear for both my body and legs. Scarf and winter "cap" too. I will definitely rent a sleeping bag and trek pole. Maybe I will even rent the thermal wear in KTM.

I am from the tropics so I am quite afraid of cold. When I climb Mount Pulag, we reach the summit at 3 degrees and it is already pretty cold to me.

May I know will my preparation be enough or it is still lacking?

Thanks.

Captain Cook, Hawaii
Level Contributor
111 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warm Clothing for ABC in Early - Mid March

dont bother renting a trek pole at the beginning of the trail you will find nice walking sticks for sale for less than a dollar. We been ABC 3 TIMES and we only need warm clothes for 2 days. A big mistake is to over pack .Your porter will be happy or if you carry your self you will be glad.If you find that your sleeping bag is not warm enough ....the tea house will have heavy blankets to cover your bag with to keep you warm. they also will have gas heaters in the common rooms and will charge you an extra cost for this.When trekking to ABC you will come back the way you came as far as Chumrong /

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warm Clothing for ABC in Early - Mid March

Thanks very much for the info.

BTW, are thermal wear available for rent in KTM and if there is, do they really wash them? I am just a little concern about hygiene.

Thanks.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warm Clothing for ABC in Early - Mid March

Although daytime temperatures should be good, once you start to gain a bit of latitude, especially once you are above Himalayan Hotel the temperatures will drop, when the sun goes down they will really plummet so I always recommend taking both a down jacket as well as a decent down sleeping bag – These are both readily available to hire at less than a $ per day per item, so there really is no need to be cold.

I now always use a trekking pole – like the above poster, I once bought a walking stick (A C 1994) and although it did work well, it also contributed to deforestation (OK – Only in a very small way, but if 1000’s of trekkers did the same it then all adds up)

Thermal (Technical) clothing is usually best sourced in your own country as what is available in Kathmandu is either replica and you don’t know the quality, or only available in the genuine named outlet stores and often expensive.

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warm Clothing for ABC in Early - Mid March

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the advice.

May I know the url of the jacket that I posted in #1 considered a down or appropriate jacket for ABC trek?

Like I mentioned I will wear it with my thermal if needed.

Thanks.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warm Clothing for ABC in Early - Mid March

BTW, do you think 11 days inclusive of arrival and departure in KTM too aggressive for the ABC trek?

So it is actually a 8 or 9 day trek.

Thanks.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warm Clothing for ABC in Early - Mid March

No problem – Pleased to be of help

OK – Your available time for the trek is OK – My standard “Advice" for ABC is that for people with a reasonable level of fitness I would allow at least 8 days to safely trek ABC – You could do it quicker but would put yourself at some risk of AMS,

The schedule below is for a 9 day P shaped trek, but If you really want to do it in 8 then you can save a day by both starting and ending your trek at Chane

I would say start your trek at Kande and trek to Tolka or Lhandruk on day 1 – Up a little to Australian Camp, the undulating, and a little more up and over a ridge then slowly down to Lhandruk

Day 2 – Lhandruk to Chomrong - about ¾ days trek downhill at first to cross the Modi Kosi at “ New Bridge” (No Bridge!!) and the Steeply uphill to Chomrong

Day 3 - Chomrong to Bamboo – about ¾ days trek, Steeply downhill on steps, the steeply uphill to Real Sinua and then downhill again to Bamboo

Day 4 -Bamboo to Himalaya – ½ day steadily up

Day 5- Himalaya to Deurali -- ½ day steadily up

Day 6 - Deurali to MBC - -- ½ day steadily up

Day 7 -MBC – ABC – Doban - Full day, up early, breakfast at ABC then return downhill all the way to Doban picking your pack up at MBC when passing

Day 8 - Doban to Chomrong -- ¾ day with one up and over and a pull up to Chomrong

From Chomrong I trekked towards Poon Hill but you could trek Chomrong to Chane (Pronounced Charmay) in one long day – This is where the new jeep Road Ends and catch a jeep or a bus back to Pokhara from there

I aren’t sure what to say about the jacket that you already have – The one I have hasn’t any ratings on it as I bought it 20 years ago in Kathmandu – But it still keeps me nice and snug and I took it on my own ABC trek, so I really can’t help any more with this one ;-)

Good Luck on your trek

Rob

Edited: 29 August 2014, 15:44
7. Re: Warm Clothing for ABC in Early - Mid March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2015, 05:16