We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rushed itinerary in Ghandruk/Ghorepani - is this feasible?

Melbourne, Australia
10 posts
Save Topic
Rushed itinerary in Ghandruk/Ghorepani - is this feasible?

I have a few spare days in Nepal in the middle of October, after finishing the Kongma La/Kala Pattar/Cho La/Gokyo trek, and am considering doing a quick trip on horseback in the Annapurna foothills for some more photographic opportunities.

It will be a rushed trip, but altitude won't be a problem, since I will have spent the previous 3 weeks trekking in the Khumbu region.

Given that it is on horseback and I'd be fully acclimatised, would the following itinerary be feasible? I don't mind long riding days and am an avid photographer, hence the importance of being at key locations for sunset/sunrise.

Day 1: Early flight from Kathmadu-Pokhara. Drive to Birethanti. Horseback to Tadapani.

Day 2: Ride from Tadapani to Ghorepani. Ride up Poon Hill for sunset shots.

Day 3: Early start to ride up Poon Hill again for sunrise shots. Breakfast at Ghorepani, ride back to Birethanti, drive to Pokhara.

Day 4: Fly Pokhara-Kathmandu

Day 5: Fly out from Kathmandu

Or, if I take a night bus or taxi from Pokhara to Kathmandu on day 4 (can't risk flight delays by flying to Kathmandu on the same day I'm due to fly out) I could add in a stay in Ghandruk as well:

Day 1: Early flight from Kathmadu-Pokhara. Drive to Birethanti. Horseback to Ghandruk.

Day 2: Ride from Ghandruk to Tadapani via Chomrong.

Day 3: Ride from Tadapani to Ghorepani. Ride up Poon Hill for sunset shots.

Day 4: Early start to ride up Poon Hill again for sunrise shots. Breakfast at Ghorepani, ride back to Birethanti, drive to Pokhara. Night drive to Kathmandu.

Day 5: Fly out from Kathmandu

Would these rushed itineraries be feasible?

Espoo
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rushed itinerary in Ghandruk/Ghorepani - is this feasible?

After doing the Khumbu trek you can easily walk Nayapul-Ghorepani-Nayapul in 3 days, possibly even in two. Why the horse?

Melbourne, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rushed itinerary in Ghandruk/Ghorepani - is this feasible?

Not just going to Ghorepani - I'd also like to get some photos from Tadapani and possibly Ghandruk as well. Also, my feet will be rather sore after all those weeks of walking...

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rushed itinerary in Ghandruk/Ghorepani - is this feasible?

the horse wont be any faster

can a horse go up the steps to Poon Hill

a rushed trip doesn't sound like a good idea in Nepal

there is something wrong if your feet are sore

you will probably have enough photos from the big walk

if you end up with a spare day then relax somewhere and enjoy the serenity

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rushed itinerary in Ghandruk/Ghorepani - is this feasible?

Hello,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

The trail is quite steep in several parts so I wonder if horse would be able to carry you. It's not flat so I think even horse won't be fast anyway. But if you want for longer hours then same itinerary might be doable without hiring any horse!

Good Luck!

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rushed itinerary in Ghandruk/Ghorepani - is this feasible?

I don't think 4 days is rushed for the Poon hill round trip. That said, the trek is almost entirely stairs.. either up, or down, but not very much "path". A horse on these stairs I would think would be not only slow, but bordering on unsafe, not just for yourself but for others on some of these stairs. It's bad enough with the mules going by as we hug the sides in some areas.

6. Re: Rushed itinerary in Ghandruk/Ghorepani - is this feasible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2015, 05:16