We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How can I get a sim card in Kathmandu?

Plubplachai...
6 posts
Save Topic
How can I get a sim card in Kathmandu?

there is sim cards for tourists?I use iPhone.Anyone know how can I use my iPhone for internet and calling while I'm in Kathmandu?

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,843 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How can I get a sim card in Kathmandu?

You can certainly get SIM Cards in Nepal – I had an N-CELL one on my last two trips, they are very cheap and have a surprisingly good coverage – The only problem that you might encounter is that most i-phones use micro-sims and the ones I saw were the full sized ones, but I also saw people with little machines that cut the centre out of the full sized SIM Cards to make a micro-sim – It sounds a bit archaic, but I was assured it worked !!

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How can I get a sim card in Kathmandu?

Don't forget your passport size photo to obtain the sim card.

Happy Travels,

Sas954

Gangtok, India
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How can I get a sim card in Kathmandu?

In the airport you will find NTC and NCELL counters (two service provider of mobiles) and purchase the sim, you need to give a photocopy of your passport, visas and pp size photograph. It is very easy and the sim gets active at the very moments no need to wait.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
858 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How can I get a sim card in Kathmandu?

The network of NTC is not so good, but it is comparatively cheap than NCELL. NCELL has good network coverage in and outside the valley. NCELL offers the various data package for internet users. But they charge high prices. So it is better to take NTC sim card at just Rs 200. BUt make sure you provide necessary details and testimonials. Like PP size photo, Photocopy of your passport. If you miss to buy the sim card at the airport you can buy it out at the Shops or onl

y at the concerned office. NCELL sim card is widely available. Whereas NTC sim card are available only in the office of NTC. NTC office is at Mitrapark which is 10-15 minutes drive from airport to the way of Bauddha.

Edited: 28 June 2015, 07:04
Gangtok, India
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How can I get a sim card in Kathmandu?

But I totally disagree with Mr. Ram G. NTC and NCEll both have same network coverages. And another thing NTC is the oldest and most used network in Nepal.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How can I get a sim card in Kathmandu?

Well, it totally depends where you are using the sim card. It has very good network coverage in the cities and not so if you are using them in the mountain. So you may purchage any company one as per your convenience but if you are more concerned about using the data for Internet purpose and Internet calls, you may choose the NCEL one as they offer several Data packages in resonable price.

Gangtok, India
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How can I get a sim card in Kathmandu?

I totally agree with anishSHTA

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
858 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How can I get a sim card in Kathmandu?

Your disagreement does not make any sense because I am also in Kathmandu and the network of NTC is not good in the remote part of Kathmandu too.

Aalborg, Denmark
Level Contributor
343 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How can I get a sim card in Kathmandu?

#post 1, cutting corners is that not the nepalese way 😉

10. Re: How can I get a sim card in Kathmandu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2016, 05:17