We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in Nepal - should I go to Pokhara?

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
5 nights in Nepal - should I go to Pokhara?

I am turning 25 and therefore going to Nepal with my mom arriving the 4th of May in the morning and leaving the 9th of May in the morning.

We want to spend the 4th and 5th in Kathmandu seeing what is to see there, but the rest of the days we want to enjoy some nature.

My question is, should we stay in Kathmandu area and take day trips, like day hikes, drives, etc.?

Or would you recommend that we travel to Pokhara the 6th, stay there until the 8th and travel back to Kathamndu on 8th?Pokhara was recommended to me, but I don't know if it is too much traveling for these few days. Is Pokhara that much better/beautiful nature-wise, or can we stay in Kathmandu area and get some good experiences there?

Kindly Laura

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,728 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights in Nepal - should I go to Pokhara?

Dear Laura, if you have only 4 days I suggest you to stay in Kathmandu Valley, there's a lots of things to see and do here. To go to Pokhara it's 6 or 8 hours of bus. You'll loose time and see less things.

Namaste

Rongpuk

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights in Nepal - should I go to Pokhara?

Dear Rongpuk

Thank you for your answer, however in total we do have 5,5 days, arriving 4th in the morning and not going back until 9th.

But you think Pokhara is too far to go, since we will spend most of the 6th and 8th in bus and only have 1,5 day in Pokhara, before going back to Kathmandu the 8th mid-day?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights in Nepal - should I go to Pokhara?

You can also fly to Pokhara. Takes about 30 minutes.

I was there recently at beginning & end of a trek for a few days & enjoyed it. It's quite touristy, being the launching pad fir many treks, but has a charm of its own and I would have liked another couple of says to explore it and the surrounding areas.

That said, with your timeframe, I'm sure there would be say trips outside and plenty to see within Kathmandu.

Happy Bierhday & hope you have a great time

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights in Nepal - should I go to Pokhara?

You could fly to Pokhara - it's only 25 minutes, but given that you have only a limited time in Nepal I'd be tempted to follow Rongpuk's suggestion, and to stay in the Kathmandu valley. I'd suggest that you spend 4th and 5th in Kathmandu, and on the 6th go to Bhaktapur, explore the city, and stay overnight. On 7th go to Nagarkot, have a short daywalk, and then enjoy sunset and sunrise there, with superb views of the mountains, then return to Kathmandu for the evening of the 8th

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,728 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights in Nepal - should I go to Pokhara?

Yes, you can go by flight to Pokhara, but you can have great sight seeing also in kathmandu Valley, if you go to Nagarkot or Dhulikhel or Balthali.

Namaste

Rongpuk

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 nights in Nepal - should I go to Pokhara?

Dear All

Thank you so much for your very useful answers, I will consult with my mother, but indeed I think we shall stay in the Kathmandu area :)

Kindly

Laura

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 nights in Nepal - should I go to Pokhara?

I would also recommend you to spend at least a night in Pokhara, may be flying in there. It's a great place for relaxing with beautiful views of Annapurna and Lamjung Himal mountain ranges.

All the best!

8. Re: 5 nights in Nepal - should I go to Pokhara?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:16