We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trek luggage question.....

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
466 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Trek luggage question.....

Hi there, planning an EBC Trek for next year. Looking at duffles - will we both need 90ltr ones or will 1 do for the both of us? We'll probably take North Face type ones. Cheers

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,005 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trek luggage question.....

Just wondering why you are looking for duffels – I took a large one with me this year thinking that the porters would prefer it to rucksacks – But they didn’t, tying two rucksacks together as in these photos

members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/21fba0/

So my duffle was redundant and left in KTM

Best Regards

Rob

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,759 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trek luggage question.....

I usualy use 70lt duffle, with a weight of no more than 16kg. My poter prefer to carry this kind of luggage in traditional way. Anyway in these years I saw poters carrying many different kind of luggage. So I can suggest you to ask to the company you've choose for trekking which kind of luggage their poters prefer ;-) Me at the beginning I've used a 75lt rucksack, then my poter asked for duffle...so I've bought it ;-)

Namaste

Rongpuk

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,005 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trek luggage question.....

Another option would be to buy your duffle (If needed) in KTM – You can get a really good one for less than $10

Good Luck

Rob

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trek luggage question.....

About a 65 - 70ltr duffel will fit both of you if you are a couple or if you do not need separate bags. Otherwise, you can get separate of 50lts each for both of you. Generally a duffel of 65 - 70ltr should be ok to travel to EBC. Do not carry unnecessary things.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
466 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trek luggage question.....

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at duffles because most of the kit lists I've looked at refer to them. I got the impression that rucksacs were a bit too 'strappy' if you know what I mean.

Good idea to ask the company we choose what they prefer - haven't quite decised yet. The 2 smaller duffel option is probably the one as we can use them again for backpacking etc.

Many more stupid questions to come, no doubt!! Watch this space......

By the way, any recommendations on trekking insurers???

Many thanks

Edited: 10 May 2012, 13:49
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,759 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trek luggage question.....

Many local companies have their own insurance with eli-rescue. I suggest you to read the prospectus of this insurance company http://www.ihi.com/

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
466 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trek luggage question.....

Cheers Rongpuk - it's the heli evac that's important really. I'll have a look.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trek luggage question.....

Snowcard are good: they understand the trekking business, and cover the right things. They are a bit pricey, but on the one occasion I've ever had to use them they paid up (for a helicopter evacuation).

Further to Rob's point - buying a bag in Kathmandu means that you can leave your case / rucksack / whatever at your Kathmandu hotel, with a few clean clothes etc to await you at the end of the trek

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trek luggage question.....

Try World Nomads Travel Insurance. My friends had insurance from them last March and they were saying it wasn't that expensive!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,005 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trek luggage question.....

Some Good ideas already posted on obtaining your travel insurance – But once you have sorted it out you really should register it in Nepal before you head off on trek to try to ensure that If something should go wrong, then there isn’t a delay in launching the Helicopter !!

Details on how to do this are here

members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1cd669/

I hope this helps but if you need further info then please feel free to drop me a line

Good Luck and Happy Trekking

Rob