We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dogs plight in Kathmandu

Seal Rock, oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Dogs plight in Kathmandu

Forgive me for saying this but know I will be miserable seeing dogs plight in Kathmandu. I'm attending a son's wedding there and will be staying close to Narayan Temple at the much raved about Swotha Traditional Home in Kathmandu. While I realize the people in Nepal are desperately poor, I always have difficulty when I travel seeing starving, lonely dogs and can't erase the memories of dogs long ago.

Please no flames for this- it's just my peculiarity! There are thousands of miserable dogs in Kathmandu from what I understand. Can anyone help me out with some positive note? Do I have to wear a blindfold?

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dogs plight in Kathmandu

Yes, there are dogs living on the streets, but they are not all miserable.

I think you need to see it from the dogs point of view instead from a humans point of view. The dogs in the streets are living a dogs life, the rules are the rules of the pack and the language are the dogs, not the rules or language of humans. They are free spirits and most seems satisfied with their life. Keep in mind that dogs have a more simple life and are happy/balanced by other things than humans.

Nepali people are not evil to animals, but many can not afford to feed a dog unless they benefit from having the dog. They don't have animals for fun or for amusement.

There are organisations in Nepal working to giver better life to street dogs...maybe you could consider donating to them and know that you have made a difference (go and visit before donating, so you are sure that it is a serious organisation).

Seal Rock, oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dogs plight in Kathmandu

Thanks very much for your very thoughtful post. You perspective is refreshing and something I can take with me over there. "Dog's point of view"- I like that a lot.

Visited a city in the eastern Mediterranean with dogs hanging out in the town square. It was sport to some of the locals to routinely battered them with stones As you say the Nepalis are not cruel like this.

I've been donating monthly to a great organization that I'll be visiting next month. Thanks very much for your compassionate words. They help greatly.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dogs plight in Kathmandu

Lisbeth your response was almost poetic and funny - cldnt agree more

And to further add

- yes stray dogs are both pitiful and nuisance at the same time

During "deepawali" a 5 day festival in late Oct - first day is set aside for honoring and conducting "puja" for dogs - stray and domestic alike - that tells you about the psyche of Nepalese people - they coexist - dog pound is rare unless it's seems to be rabid -

4. Re: Dogs plight in Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2012, 15:21
5. Re: Dogs plight in Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2013, 10:16