We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi or car with driver

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bruges, Belgium
Level Contributor
44 posts
194 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi or car with driver

Hi

We will be in Nepal soon. We'll stay a few days to visit the valley. We'll take taxis for Bodnath, Patan, Pashupatinath, Patan and Bhaktapur but can you tell me: if we want a taxi for the day (eg to visit Chobar, Kirtipur, Khokhana, Ichangu Narayan, Panauti, etc) how much will we pay for a day? Is there a reliable company or should we just haggle with drivers in Thamel? Is it much more expensive to arrange through a travel agency?

Thanks for any replies!

Pokhara
Level Contributor
892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi or car with driver

Hi there Greetings Hiring Taxi`s from The street is not always the best idea because they are small Dirty with full of Dust 800 CC tiny (very unsafe)

by paying just little Extra you can get nicer private car with descent driver cleaner reliable service oriented Driver s you can email one of the company Tell them how many are you on the group & which type of Vehicle you want than they quote you with the price at this time of year always put in your mind that Air conditioned vehicle is Recommended.

Have a Nice trip to Kathmandu .

Best Regards

Raja.

Edited: 06 August 2012, 01:03
France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi or car with driver

Hire a private car from an agent. You can do this once you arrive in Kathmandu but not sure about the exact costs. Your hotel or any agent can arrange a private car for you easily!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,069 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi or car with driver

Hi

No harm in negotiating with the taxi drivers in Thamel to compare with the agents - you will probably take one of the small Suzuki Maruti cars from the airport so you will know what they are like.

scoodly

Level Contributor
335 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi or car with driver

Hi,

In this time of the year Kathmandu is hot and humid so travelling in a small taxi with no aircondition isn't that pleasant. And it is worse when you are caught in the frequent traffic jams of Kathmandu unable to open the windows because of the smoke coming out from other vechiles. Certainly private cars are expensive than taxis but they also are more spacious, comfortable, with A/C and more accustomed to working with tourists. So much better to use private cars

Uttam Sapkota

Annapurna Excursion

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi or car with driver

when you say taxi - think of these tiny-tinkertoy-tinboxes - no a/c barely any suspension, heck you would be lucky if the fan works, which means you will need to roll down the window - which in trun means you will be inhaling all the smoke and dust. while i like ktm valley for its character dust and smoke are always challenging. by all means hire a private car - which are usually slightly better kept and do seem to come in little better make and models - as for cost - expect to pay 4-5K per day ($50-60). your hotel or some of the trekking agency in Thamel can do this for you after you arrive.

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi or car with driver

Hi there,

You can try both. Obviously once you deal with an agency they provide you a best comfortable car according to your interest of visiting places and cost will be fixed, doesn't matter if the agreed time is little over as well as if in case you left some of your valuable stuff at car will be safe and receive it without any trouble but about the taxi is little different, if you agreed on some certain time and if you took little more time then they will charge you an extra for waiting and can't make sure those taxi drivers who are more reliable and even sometime it could be a problem on driving due to fuel problem or something else.

Since some of the taxi drivers put Kerosine gas instead of petrol gas.

So, you are enough smart to choose what is best and reliable choice right?

Just care your stuff if you rent a taxi because once its lost sometime can't find.

Enjoy your holiday in Nepal...

N.D

New Delhi, India
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi or car with driver

"Just care your stuff if you rent a taxi because once its lost sometime can't find.".....I left my laptop bag in a taxi to get my luggage from the hotel and when I returned he had already vanished with my macbook, passport with valid visas!...This happened on 12.9.2012. I filed a report. I know the name and appearance of the driver and will recognize him. Any idea will be appreciated where to find the database or pictures of the taxi drivers or how to locate a driver whose name I know. Thanks in advance for any help!

Kathmandu
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi or car with driver

Taxi or Car , I think hiring a car would be more convenient and easy to travel around , May be it cost little more but if you take service from rental service they will be more responsible and provide pleasant service. Regarding the cost it varies slightly among service providing agency so at first choose few service provider like i know acetravel.com, greenline travels and similarly you can find with official website of travelling nepal www.welcomenepal.com . Here you can virtually find almost all travel agency, hotel ,treking agency contact and make direct contact and ask for the cost for your expected travel route and you can decide which would be the best out of all . If you would like to make a budget tours and don't care about more comfort, temperature taxi is also fine but make sure how much they charge and it wil work out . Have a wonderful travel!

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi or car with driver

Hi Sunil

This might be a long shot, but I found this information:

http://fnnte.org.np/executive%20board.html

I have no idea if taxidrivers are registred here by some license and photo ID, but it might be worth a try. And if they are not, hopefully the members of the board might be able to help you any way.

I hope you get it sorted out.

New Delhi, India
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi or car with driver

Hi Lisbeth,

Thanks a lot for this link! I was trying very hard to find such an agency. Your link will be very helpful. At least I can try contacting them. Hope to find my lost stuff this way!

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate!