We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Trek 20% deposit 4% Service Charge Bank Card & Passp

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Booking Trek 20% deposit 4% Service Charge Bank Card & Passp

On finally deciding on trek company who is TAAN registered and rates highly on here, the info needed to book for us is a 20% deposit which has a 4% service charge (for Visa UK Debit Card) but they also want a scanned copy of my passport and front and back of my card. It is around $700 deposit.

Is this normal? I am very security conscious and this seems alot of info.

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Trek 20% deposit 4% Service Charge Bank Card & Passp

Which trek is it you are planning to do?

How many pax?

How many days in between you arrival to Kathmandu and your departure to the trekking area?

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Trek 20% deposit 4% Service Charge Bank Card & Passp

I share your concerns ! A 20% deposit seems steep. I know that there may be costs involved in transferring monies through Nepalese banks, which is why I'm glad that the company I normally use expects payment in cash on arrival in Kathmandu

Whilst I can see why a copy of your passport might be useful for arranging permits (though normally I simply send an email with my passport number and expiry date) personally I would not dream of sending scanned copies of my credit card to anyone.

'Highly rated on here': unfortunately I'm not 100% confident that all of the 'reviews' posted are genuine . . . .

Edited: 06 August 2012, 10:01
Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Trek 20% deposit 4% Service Charge Bank Card & Passp

Hi Lisbeth

It is in October we go. We are doing EBC, Gokyo and Chola and two persons. Our company is picking us up from airport and taking to our Kathmandu accommodation booked independently. The next day they are taking us on a city tour and to meet our guide, etc before leaving for Lukla the next day.

What's probably important to mention is that a number of our accommodations are the Yeti chain, the Nepal 'luxury' so this is why it probably seems more expensive but we wanted a balance of both.

Rachel

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking Trek 20% deposit 4% Service Charge Bank Card & Passp

Ah, reply from tour company, it seems I'd misread the form. I need to provide card number, exp date and passport number but not scanned copies of anything.

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking Trek 20% deposit 4% Service Charge Bank Card & Passp

The practical details the agency would probably like to take care of before your arrival is:

Trekking permits

Internal flights

Booking of the Yeti lodges (maybe...normally you don't pre book lodges, but it might be different, when it is not the standard lodges??)

October is high season, so they need to pre book flights, but they don't have to pay before the finally confirm the flights. It is ok to to this a few days in advance.

They don't need to arrange the permits before your arrival. They have 2½ working days after your arrival, which is enough to take care of the final arrangements.

I really don't think they have to pay for the Yeti lodges before arrival, but I don't know for sure.

As Alanyety, I am glad that my agent never asks for deposti, but it is a different situation, when we have used the same agent for several years and have gained trust.

In your shoes, I would tell them that they can have:

Copy of your passport, so they can pre book flights.

No information about creditcard, as you will pay in cash at arrival after meeting your guide.

No 20% deposit, as they have no financiel risk that you need to cover.

If they think this is not a good deal, there ARE other agencies.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,693 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking Trek 20% deposit 4% Service Charge Bank Card & Passp

Hi

There is a discussion of deposits on this thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293889-i9243-k5…

I would not send scanned copies of the card either but I would also be reluctant to send the card number via insecure email too because of the risk of the number being detected by fraudsters - I suggest sending part of the number over several emails at least.

Good luck.

scoodly

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking Trek 20% deposit 4% Service Charge Bank Card & Passp

If the company is legal then it should be OK to pay US$ 700 as advance but I am sure that you can compromise in a little with Nepali companies. They will agree even if you say them that you can't pay more than 2/300 US$ as advance they won't say no. They only want the confirmation that you will be going to attend the trek!

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking Trek 20% deposit 4% Service Charge Bank Card & Passp

Rhythm D

For my part the unwillingness to pay deposit is based on:

* It is expenssive to transfer money and I prefer to use my money for other things than bank fees.

* Since the agency has no expensses before my arrival, they have no financial risk that can justify a deposit.

* I do understand that the agency want to make sure that I will show up, by making me pay a deposit. But I actually don't believe that the agencies often has the situation, that clients don't showup.

* I will not pay any amount before I have met the guide going with me, since I believe that he is the key person to a good experience. If he doesn't speak good english or if his and mine personalities doesn't match, I will be in a situation, where I am financially forced to go any way.

* If I had booked nothing before arrival most agencies would be able to arrange everything within few days, so why is there a money issue when I book in advance?

* My agent has never asked for deposit; not from me and not from any other clients and he has never had a client, that didn't show up....at least he says so.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking Trek 20% deposit 4% Service Charge Bank Card & Passp

It's individual preference. Right Lisbeth?? I live in Nepal so I do not need to pay any deposits in advance....yeppi!

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking Trek 20% deposit 4% Service Charge Bank Card & Passp

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have done some research as I was really getting worried about comments on here and it seems for many a deposit is necessary. Earthbound want 30%, Mosiac all require a deposit. I was looking over the emails I had sent to different agents and companys - I sent over 80. Lisbeth, your agent wanted a 10% deposit from me in his email, Alan Yeti I contacted your agent but to be honest i wrote him off as I just couldn't understand his email response and twice I asked a number of questions which weren't answered. I'm not questioning how good agent he is as it's clear you have used him for a number of years, but for me not being able to answer all my concerns over email and be clear on our itinery made me question whether we'd end up with the trip we wanted. I think its great you don't have to pay a deposit and have built up good trust. Hopefully we may be in this position if we return to Nepal!

I have emailed the company and the desposit is needed for flights and the Yeti lodges which I suspect need to be reserved in advance. I do understand concerns and why some people don't want to pay a deposit, may be a good point and I think I may try and pay a less deposit.