We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Everest Base Camp Trek

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
Level Contributor
178 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Everest Base Camp Trek

Hi everyone

On Everest Base Camp trek some tour company have a rest day in Dingboche to acclimatize and some don't but notice every company has a day to acclimatize at Namche Bazzar.

How important is it to have a rest day in Dingboche?

Please advise as it will give us an idea of which company to choose.

Thanking all in advance, much appreciated

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,432 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek

Generally it is said that you have to talk acclimatization day once after climbing 1000 meters. It is applicable on vulnerable high altitude areas [means over 2500 meters generally]. So, personally I recommend you to take both acclimatization days in Namche and Dingboche.

I have a friend who do guiding in the Himalayas since 4/5 years I guess. I have used him for numerous treks in Nepal. Please drop me a message by clicking on my name if you need his contact.

All the best!

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,432 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek

Forgot to mention:

It's very difficult to get a descent trekking guide in Nepal. Most of the guides who said to be professional are poor in communication and have lack of knowledge on their fields, culture, peaks and similar things. As far as I know it's very easy to get license from Nepal Government as a trekking guide but that really doesn't make any sense. So, my personal and strong suggesting for you is that talk with your guide before making the confirmed booking or never make booking before talking with your guide. I am sure that trekking with well spoken trekking guide and trekking with poor speaking trekking guide makes so different on your experience!

Enjoy!

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek

I believe the extra day at Dingboche for acclimatisation is almost essential, as post#1 suggests. There's a very pleasant, fairly gentle, day walk along below the south side of the Nuptse wall, to Bibrs and towards Chukung - go as far as you feel comfortable with, then return to Dingboche

Edited: 19 August 2012, 17:09
kathamandu
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek

You start your trek at 2853m (Lukla). Most of trekkers have a problem of altitude sickness.As my 9 years working experience in Everest region, you should have a rest day in both place Namche and Dingboche. Acclimatization is very important for you when you ascend in Everest Base Camp.Never mind, you may come down as quick as you want.

Have a nice trek,

Harka

sydney
Level Contributor
178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek

Thank you all for your advise, much appreciated.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek

Based my own 20+ years of guiding treks this region, taking both days for acclimatization is essential and would ensures of success of your trek. So would recommend take both acclimatization days. You can do short excursion in both areas. Good luck

M. Sherpa

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek

Dear Sir,

It is important if you have rest day at Dingboche. But if you dont have time then it is not necessary.

About the choosing company: You have so many possibility choose trekking company through internet.

San francisco...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek

During my trek to EBC last Nov, I skipped the rest day in Namche but took a day in Dingboche. I would not recommend doing the same unless you know from experience that your body acclimates well. dave

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek

I believe in taking rest day in Namache bazar and Dinboche both places. But if you don't have enough time it is not necessary.

10. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 10:17