We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Kathmandu airport to Town?

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Selangor
Level Contributor
177 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Kathmandu airport to Town?

Hi All,

We are 3 of us travelling in Novemver mid to Nepal. Can I know what is the safest/trusted and affordable transportation to town, preferable Thamel area and the cost of it? We plan to book a hostel there.

Is the thamel are is OK?

Thanks,

suria

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
756 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Kathmandu airport to Town?

the best way will be to just get a local taxi.

thamel is the main tourist area of kathmandu with lots of hotels, shops and restaurants.

the cost would be maybe 200- 300 rupees

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,687 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Kathmandu airport to Town?

Ya, taxi is the easy way to reach Thamel. You can tell the driver to drive you to Thridevi Marg. I'm not sure, as tourist, if you'll be able to pay only 300 nepali rupees, they will ask you more, but you can try to treat the price a little. You have to know that now in nepal the cost of fuell is around 1 euro and 30 cents for a liter :-(

namaste

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Kathmandu airport to Town?

As soon as you leave the airport you'll meet a throng of touts offering taxis (and accommodation !) Agree a taxi fare in advance if possible.

Incidentally although normally I'm met by Nepalese friends at the airport I still find the mass of people outside is at best confusing, at worst almost intimidating. Don't let it put you off - it's the first, and the worst, experience in a visit to Nepal - after that things get much better !

4. Re: Transportation from Kathmandu airport to Town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2013, 10:18