We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions

Hello.

We are a group of 4 planning to come to Kathmandu in mid January (around 12.01) next year. We will come only for a few days, making it a side trip from Delhi by plane. Visiting Nepal (especially Kathmandu) has always been a dream of one of us and the rest is also very thrilled with this idea. I will be grateful for some advice.

We are planning to visit Kathmandu Valley only, so Kathmandu city, Bhaktapur and Patan. We would also like to go to Nagarkot - to observe Mt Everest if possible. As we have limited time (will be in India from 11th to 26th Jan) we can't decide how many nights to spend in Kathmandu - 3 or 4? I know that it's always better to stay as long as possible but on the other hand our sightseeing style is very quick and we don't like to wander around the same streets there and back. What do you recommend? How much time does it take to get from Kathmandu to Nagarkot or Bhaktapur? Or maybe you recommend some other places in close proximity to visit?

I know that January is not the best time to visit this region but is it really that bad? We are used to cold, in Poland we usually have -10C daytime in this time of year and snow, how exactly does it look in Nepal? I'm reading all those climate descriptions but they all look like "copy/paste" for me, telling that the weather is good from November to December and then from February to March - but what about January, looks like a black hole ;) Shall I expect about +10C during the day and about 0C at night? If yes, that really doesn't sound bad for me ;) Or maybe some bad things happen in Jan, like storms etc?

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,733 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions

Hallo!!!

For you in Nepal it'll not be cold even if in january. I don't think it's a bad month to visit Nepal. If you'll stay in the Valley it'll not be cold, and it'll not be so crowdy like in October/November.

Everest from Nagarkot? you'll see maybe one millimeter, a little point that someone will tell you: Yes It's Everest. ;-P

From there you'll see the Ganesh Himal Range and Lantang. The view it's great. If you want really to see Everest take a mountain flight http://www.buddhaair.com/everest/

The distance between KTM and Bhaktapur is 11km. The road is new and it'll need 15 minutes of taxi to connected the two cities.

To have an idea of what you can see in the Valley please read here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c182391/Nepal…

you can choose the suggestions you like more to complete you trip plan ;-)

Namaste

Rongpuk

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions

Thank you for your reply, rongpuk.

I think websites like this one http://www.see-nepal.com/tours/places.php fooled me about the Everest view from Nagarkot ;) Do you think it's still worth visiting (if the weather is good) or are there some better places to observe mountain ranges?

I know that there are mountain flights available, I'm still considering this option.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions

Kathmandu, January climate figures:

average day-time maximum temperature 18C

average minum night-time temperature 2C

average rainfall for the month 13mm

almost tropical compared with Poland in winter !

Kathmandu to Bhaktapur about 40 minutes by car (depends on traffic). Another hour up to Nagarkot.

Personally I'd suggest staying one night in Kathmandu, and visiting DHurbar Square and Swayambunath the following morning. Then go via Pathan Dhurbar Square to Nagarkot, arriving late afternoon in time for sunset, and staying overnight. Whilst Everest is not really visible the sun-rise views from there over the Jugal, Langtang, Ganesh himals are memorable.

The following day be driven back to Bhaktapur, arriving for lunchtime, and spend the afternoon exploring the fascinating old city centre. It's worth staying there overnight, as in the evening, once the day-trippers have gone, it's a magical place.

Then back to Kathmandu for the final night.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions

Thank you, Alanyeti.

18C in winter is HOT for me, just like you said - tropical weather ;) Is it usually sunny or rather cloudy this time of the year? In Poland it would be hard to predict but maybe Nepal is more predictable.

I personally don't mind changing sleeping locations every night but people with whom I will be travelling actually do mind, so I guess we will stay all those nights in one place.

What do you think about those plans (is the first one doable?):

day 1 - arriving to Kathmandu at 2 pm, transfer to hotel in Thamel, afternoon/evening walk around the place

day 2 - exploring Kathmandu and Patan

day 3 - going to Bhaktapur and then to Nagarkot (what kind of transportation do you recommend?)

day 4 - going back to Delhi

Or maybe:

day 1 - arriving to Kathmandu in the late afternoon, transfer to hotel in Thamel, dinner somewhere near the hotel

day 2 - exploring Kathmandu, Durban Square and other highlights

day 3 - going to Bhaktapur and then to Nagarkot

day 4 - exploring Patan & Kathmandu shopping

day 5 - going back to Delhi

Thanks!

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,733 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions

Usually it's sunny during the winter. It's consider to be dry season

I think the 2nd one is more reasonable ;-)

You can use local bus or a private car. It's depend on your budget ;-) fuell costs 130 nepali rupees par liter and a private car with driver in the valley costs from 30 to 45 USD par day.

Enjoy

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions

Plan B is better than Plan A: Kathmandu deserves at least 1½ days.

If you can't stay there overnight for the sunrise I don't think I'd bother with Nagarkot - you'd get a good view of the mountains from a roof-top cafe in Thamel (provided that the visibility is good !)

As for transport, it wouldn't be outlandishly expensive four 4 of you to go out to Bhaktapur by taxi, or to call in at one of the many travel agents in Thamel and to ask what it would cost for private transport and a guide for a visit to Bhaktapur.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions

Thank you, your answers are really helpful. Now I'm sure I will spend 4 nights in Kathmandu, I will also try to contact some local drivers/guides and ask for prices to book trip to Bhaktapur in advance.

Or maybe we will hire a driver for one day and go around the Valley, to Boudhanilkantha, Panauti and Nagarkot maybe also.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few questions

Hello again, I have some more questions and maybe you will be able to help me :)

What is average price for hiring a car with driver for a day, let's say 8 hours? Also, how much does taxi to Bhaktapur from Thamel cost? I just need some approximate cost.

Thanks for all your answers :)

Edited: 12 November 2012, 11:10
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,733 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few questions

The pice of fuell in Nepal is not so cheap (130 nepali rupees par litee, aronud 1.30 euro). A car with a diver in the Valley par day it costs from 30 to 45 USD.

A Taxi from Kathmandu (Thridevi Marg) to Bhaktapur tourist bus park costs 800 nepali rupees. Obviously you can treat the price and try to spend 500 or 600 ;-) But if you'll take it in the night it'll be difficult to spend less than 700.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few questions

45 USD is not that bad. Do you think I can find the driver on the spot or shall I arrange it earlier through the internet?

800 NPR is not bad either, definitely cheaper than taxi prices here in Poland. Shall I fix the price with a driver before I get into the car or just pay what meter shows?

Thank you for your help :)