We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1/2 day to fill

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
112 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
1/2 day to fill

Visiting Katmandu with a tour group in late January. The tour company includes visits to Nagarkot, Bhaktapur, Bouddhanath and Pashuptatinath and a tour of the city of Katmandu. We will also have 2 half days on our own: any suggestions? Is is possible to see Shivapuri Natl Park in half a day? The monkey temple?

We enjoy scenery, wildlife, local markets, cooking.

Thank you in advance

kathmandu
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1/2 day to fill

Yeah you can see monkey temple in half days. But for the shivapuri national park park you need a whole day. so its better to go monkey temple rather than shivapuri national park.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1/2 day to fill

He there,

If the tour company includes your sightseeing around Kathmandu it would be nice but Shivapuri national park is not for sightseeing people can go for day hike so if you can manage one extra day you can go there for forest hike rather than sightseeing among the dusty places.

Cheers

WK

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,619 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1/2 day to fill

Personally I can’t see a tour company missing out Swayambhunath (Monkey Temple) on their tour of Kathmandu – But if they do then that’s certainly worth one of your spare ½ days

For the other you could consider a Buddha Air Mountain Flight to see Everest – It would be a shame visiting |Nepal and missing out on a sight of Everest

Good Luck

Rob

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1/2 day to fill

I agree with Rob - if it's not on the itinerary then the bizarre chaos of Swayambunath is well worth a visit.

The little catchment lake at Shivapuri is quite attractive, but also incredibly depressing, or was when I visited it on the way back from Chisapani. It was completely strewn with litter (mainly from Nepalese parties who go up there for a picnic, and leave all their rubbish behind. Our sirdar was so disgusted that between us we organised the whole porter team - 15 of them as it had been a camping trek - to do a large-scale clear up. The resulting sacks of rubbish were then, for an additional tip, carried back to the road head)

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
112 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1/2 day to fill

Thanks for the prompt information!

How about a locals market? We are staying at the Radisson. Anything close by there?

I've been considering the flight to see Everest. Very pricey, but you are right - we are closer than we will ever be, so might as well do it. Can we get the hotel to arrange for us on arrival? or should I do it in advance?

Kathmandu,Nepal
Level Contributor
473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1/2 day to fill

I do agree above posts of Rob & Alanyeti.

It will be worth if you do it in advance regarding arrange hotel.

By the way, search on google with "chandragiri day hiking", I think this will be much better than Shivapuri NP...

Have a nice trip!

Guide

7. Re: 1/2 day to fill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2013, 10:16