We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

intrepid trek nepal

Newmarket, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
intrepid trek nepal

Hi

We are planning to go to Everest Base Camp with Inrepid Tours at the end of April 2013. Has anyone done the tour with Intrepid and how difficult is the trek. We did Machu Pichu in Peru last year and did fine on the trek.

Thanks Nanc

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: intrepid trek nepal

I have trekked to EBC twice, once independently without any trekking staff and once by using trekking staff with a local company – So I can’t comment on Intrepid other than to say that they are an international company with a good reputation and I am sure that they will look after you very well.

However if you wanted to save a Lot of money without a reduction in the level of service that there are many local operators that will happily provide you with an equally good / better trek at a fraction of the price.

The trek it’s self isn’t overly difficult with a standard itinerary of around 2 weeks, flying into and out of Lukla.

I have written up a Trek Report from my last trek there, Spring 1012

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/bf701/

That you might find useful reading, I have included some reasonably detailed trek notes, a daily video diary, links to downloadable trekking maps, a few hints on transportation as well as reviewed the accommodation where we stayed

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: intrepid trek nepal

I agree with Rob that using local company is better in many ways. There are many reputed and well established trekking agencies who are happy to help you. They are a lot cheaper than agencies abroad. I heard that a foreign company is not allowed to run treks in Nepal themselves so they will anyhow use a local company for operating treks in Nepal. That means they will book the trek with you and pass the services to Nepal based agents. They will make money between you and Nepali company doing nothing. So, I suggest you to use a Nepali agent.

The trek is little difficult as the altitude is quite high but the trails are wider and easily can be followed. Lots of people will be walking on the same route if you are trekking in main season. You can also do the trek on your own however using staffs will be you feel comfortable.

All the best!

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: intrepid trek nepal

I agree - international companies will generally sub-contract the delivery of your trek to a local company, having 'top-sliced' what you pay to cover their western advertising, offices, salaries, profits.

I feel it's much better (and cheaper) to deal direct with a Nepalese company: the Nepali are very good at tourism - particularly in Nepal !

Edited: 12 January 2013, 12:42
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: intrepid trek nepal

I Agree with Alanyeti.

Townsville...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: intrepid trek nepal

Hi, I am looking at going to Nepal at the end of the year to do Everest base camp and Gokyo Lakes. Just wandering if you have the name of any good trekking companies in Nepal that I could use. I would like to use a local company instead of an international agency. I am going on my own so looking to travel in a group. Cheers, Paula

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: intrepid trek nepal

There are lots of agencies in Nepal registered with Government. Most of the regular poster in the forum also have their own recommended agents. I would generally talk with different agents and compare the services and prices before making the final decision. You can message me if you want my recommendation.

Good Luck!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: intrepid trek nepal

FAO #5

I have used the same trekking agent for the last 19 years and 10 trips to Nepal, I used to offer to send his contact details by PM to anyone who requested but now no longer do this as it could be seen as Spamming.

Most of the regular visitors who trek in Nepal have their favourite agents and I am sure that if you ask them then some of them will give you details of who they recommend, several of them even use the same agent as me ;-)

Do take care when selecting your Trekking Agent, there are some excellent ones out there, but there are also some that promise a great trek and fail to deliver, Good Trekking Staff with really make your trek, but Bad Trekking Staff will ruin it.

There is a high probability that your posting will attract some Spam from posters within the Nepali trekking industry – My own views are that if a trekking agent has to SPAM to get business then they should be avoided and it is a far better to get a personal recommendation from someone that you know and trust

If said Spammers are sending you unsolicited emails then these should be reported to the site moderators so that action can be taken

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: intrepid trek nepal

Hi Paula

Lots of great info is already posted, so there is no need for me to repete it.

But what I can give you an input about is whether to join a Group or just go with your own guide and porter.

I believe that going with a group makes it harder to complete the trek and it increases the risk of AMS.

If you go with a Group, you can't:

* Set you own pace during the day and take the time you need to adjust to the thin air

* If you get symptoms of AMS, you will have to either just hang in or be left behind. You can't just take another day to acclimatize or even go a little down to go back up again.

As Rob I have used the same guide for years (not the same as Rob) and if you want information about him, you are welcome to PM me. And I suggest you get a few qoutes, so you have something to compare.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,634 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: intrepid trek nepal

Hi

Have used a nuber of agents over the years but the only one I recommend is the one used last year for an Arun-Valley-ENC-Gokyo-Pikey Peak trek (with into-thin-air until EBC). The service was excellemt, costs fair to the trekkers and porter/guides and porters with flexible back when plans changed. It's a small, locally owned agency - Himalayan Magic Adventure; contact details and TAAN credentials here:

taan.org.np/member/himalayan-magic-adventure…

It is allowed to make recommendations when requested but the post might not last long!

Good luck and enjoy the trek.

scoodly

Chichester UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: intrepid trek nepal

We went on Nepal encompassed with intrepid it was not a trekking trip but my comments relate to the company - the trip was very poor value for money accommodation at times disgusting and transport falling apart -we had travelled with intrepid in India and had a great time but I am afraid I wouldn't recommend them to anyone based on our Nepal experience