We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suitable shoes for treking?

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Moree, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suitable shoes for treking?

We are doing an trek classed as "Easy" - maximum of 16km per day for 4 or 5 days during September/October season. Are sports shoes suitable or we need something more substancial?

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Suitable shoes for treking?

Hi there

No need that much things but you need Hi-tech shoes and sun glass and Sun glass and some mosquito power or any other kind of things.

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suitable shoes for treking?

The most important thing about your shoes is that they are 'well broken down', so you avoid blisters, have a good grip in the ground and supports your feet and ankles.

I did my first trek in a pair of sport shoes...and survieved.

For longer and more challenging treks a pair of trekking boots are unvaluable.

Buy some hiking socks (without seams) and you will be just fine.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suitable shoes for treking?

Personally I find that the ankle support that boots offer is useful for a clumsy trekker even on easy trails, but a good pair of well-fitting, comfortable sports shoes would probably do. I trekked tha Annapurna Circuit a few years ago where one of my friends was wearing sports shoes: they worked (we knew that because he was invariably well ahead of us, but we could recognise the footprints left by the sports shoes, a mongst all the boot prints...)

Moree, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Suitable shoes for treking?

Thankyou for your responses! No one mentioned if wet weather or muddy conditions were a concern. Are the tracks wet or muddy at that time of year?

Moree, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Suitable shoes for treking?

Yep...I am the clumsy one with weak ankles - boots for me it is...Thankyou! :)

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,343 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suitable shoes for treking?

Historically the monsoon ended in mid-September but in the last few years rain has lasted to the end of the month and into October.

Some rain is possible but the trails, on the whole, do not get too muddy. I have trekked in the middle of the monsoon and mud was not a problem. Wet feet were but this was inj constant rain which you are unlikely to get,

Shoes will probably be fine but so will a lightweight pair of fabric boots with a membrane such as Gore-tex or eVent,

scoodly

7. Re: Suitable shoes for treking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2014, 07:16