We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Nepal for the first time with family

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
1 post
Save Topic
Visiting Nepal for the first time with family

Hi All,

I am planning to have a weeks visit to Kathmandu during May. Can anyone suggests what will be the climate there during that time and some suggestions on how and where to spend our time. I would also like to know how is hotel Himalaya....is it a good place to stay with family and whether its convenient location to go to various places.

Regards,

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,235 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Nepal for the first time with family

Hi Eby,

April-May is first high season; nice temperatures at least during the day and in the sun. You'd better split your time over 2 bases to get a glimpse of the broad range of things Nepal has to offer; next to Kathmandu maybe Pokhara or Chitwan national park area.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Nepal for the first time with family

May - the weather is fantastic

hotel himalaya - i have stayed there - it is decent for Nepali standards but is in Pulchowk area. If you want to hang out where all the tourists tend to stay - it is Thamel which is 3 to 4 km away. Which is where all the restaurants and bars are, that tend to cater to tourists.Not that there aren't good places near Pulchowk but it's more spread out.

if it is only KTM valley you plan to visit do these -

Durbar Squares - Kathmandu, Patan, Bhaktapur

Temple Runs - Pashupatinath, Swoyamhunath, Bouddhanath

May be a night or two at Hillstations like Nagarkot, Dhulikhel

Everest Flight, Visit Monastaries etc

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,681 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Nepal for the first time with family

Hallo, here you can find some suggestions about how to spend your time in Nepal:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c182391/Nepal…

About the hotel you've mentioned I've never used it, but you can check TA reviews here:

tripadvisor.it/Hotel_Review-g293890-d1091680…

Namaste

Rongpuk

Edited: 28 March 2013, 13:59
Nepal
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Nepal for the first time with family

The first week of may is good to travel in Nepal. end of second week is beginning of raining season. so I would like recommend you to travel before second week.

Seven days family tours is very excellent , dont forget to go to Nagarkot and pokhara as well as if you are interested about jungle adventure - Chitwan will be good. We send you PM pleae try to check it.

Hotel Himalayan ... ... ... means which hotel you are saying. many hotel are started by the name of Himalayan ... ... ... like Hotel himalayan Kupondol, Himalayan Club Nagarkot ... ... ,

Hope you will enjoy in Nepal with your family.

Baal

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Nepal for the first time with family

Some good info already posted.

I also agree with the above poster that the weather starts to go downhill as may goes on with pre-monsoon rains as well as a haze that limits mountain views.

I haven’t used the hotel that you mention and am currently staying at The Hotel Kathmandu Prince in Chhetrapati which is near to Thamel the main tourist hub. - It’s a good hotel and offers value for moneys

As for what to do – Lots of options in and around Kathmandu including.

1) Buddha Air Mountain Flight

2) Bodnath

3) Visit Kopan Monastery

4) Pashupatinath

5) Swayambhunath

6) Full day in Bhaktapur

7) Durbar Square Kathmandu and Patan

8) Day trip to Nagarkot and overnight – With luck spectacular sunrise

Pokhara - On the way south

Take the cable-car to Manakamana Temple

In Pokhara

1) Paragliding

2) Micro-Light flight

3) Devi Falls and Gupteshwor Mahadev cave

4) Walk to the Peace Pagoda and then return to lakeside by boat over Fewa Tal

5) Visit The Tibetan Refugee camp

6) Sunrise at Sarangkot

Good Luck

Rob

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
60 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Nepal for the first time with family

We just came back from Nepal (as a family with 2 kids, 11 and 13 years old). We stayed in Lazimpat at Tings Hotel Lounge which is a very nice place (for the money; quiet, airy and green) run by a Danish couple. It includes a full breakfast (and good coffee). It is about 20 minutes walking to Thamel or about 200 rupees (US$2.50) by taxi.

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
60 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Nepal for the first time with family

Also, the Monkey Temple was the highlight for my kids.

8. Re: Visiting Nepal for the first time with family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2014, 05:17