We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchanging Rupees

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
Save Topic
exchanging Rupees

Leaving tommorow, can I exchange leftover rupees for US $ at the airport ? ( btw I know the rate will be terrible if so)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,623 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: exchanging Rupees

Yes you can. They might ask you for an ATM slip or licensed exchanger slip proving you bought the NPR in a legal way, slip must be of an amount exceeding what you want to sell now.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: exchanging Rupees

Really, but all I have changed in cash into rupees at exchange places in Thamel and none have given me any kind of slip

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: exchanging Rupees

If you exchange Rupees into dollor in money exchange, it will not be a problem but they will keep good commission in exchange rate. Even if you change in the airport counter, you will get the same exchange rate. May be you will get a bit higher at the bank counter where you should show ATM slip or exchange receipt that the Nepali money you are holding is from your foreign currency.

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: exchanging Rupees

You can read here:

iatatravelcentre.com/NP-Nepal-customs-curren…

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,639 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: exchanging Rupees

OP - Exchanging with other travellers is another possibility.

For others, when exchanging at banks you will (should) be given the receipt as a matter of routine; if using the money changers you will probably only get one if you ask for it.

scoodly

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: exchanging Rupees

The Easiest way is to change your NPR to USD at ex-changer in Thamel. you will not have any problem. if you want to exchange at Airport they may ask you to have slip though it will have terrible rate.

Good luck

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: exchanging Rupees

If anyone is heading to Nepal soon I have left over Rupees from a recent trip which I mistakenly left the country with! I'd be happy to sell at a favourable rate (in Melbourne) :)

Terrebonne, Oregon
Level Contributor
135 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: exchanging Rupees

I got stuck with 1200 rupees in Delhi because the desks would only take denominations of 1000 and I had a bunch of smaller bills.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,829 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: exchanging Rupees

If you get stuck with less than $/€/£ 100, why not donate it to the "change for change" or other charity bins at the airport, or on board your flight?

And/ or give some small kids in your family some foreign currency.

1200 INR is about $22, US.

Terrebonne, Oregon
Level Contributor
135 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: exchanging Rupees

Yes, my next flight was Asiana and they collected for Unicef so they got it all.