We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to change my English pounds please

UK/Goa
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to change my English pounds please

I arrive on Monday and would be grateful if someone can advise me the best way to exchange my GBP.

Thank you.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,755 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to change my English pounds please

Assuming it is cash then the money exchangers will be your easiest option - £50 notes get a slightly better rate than $20 and below ones

Also if you exchange a larger amount of money they will also give you a slightly better rate

Last week I got just under 131NPR per £ for cash

Good Luck and Happy Travels

Rob

UK/Goa
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to change my English pounds please

Thank you. I was wondering approximately what the rate was at the moment.

We don't intend doing much otherthan eating and a bit of sight seeing. We get there on Monday afternoon and fly back to Goa on the Thursday. Can you tell me how much two people are likely to spend Iin that short time for me to know how much to change please?

We are staying at the Shambaling by the Buddha so need taxis.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,755 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to change my English pounds please

No Problem – Pleased to be of help

Difficult to estimate how much money you will need – Taxis are cheap enough, maybe 350NPR each way Boudhanath to Thamel to give you an idea

The big thing is beer – One beer will cost you more than the average meal so therefore a couple can almost double your budget

Without Alcohol you can easily get by on $25 per day, based on 2 sharing a £10 room leaving $20 each for food, transport, entrance fees and entertainment

Good Luck

Rob

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
10,063 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to change my English pounds please

Hi

The numerous licensed money changers are probably the best way of changing money; easily done, good rates and possible to negotiate.

There are a few near Boudhanath but my experience is better rates are available in Thamel - from experience of checking a few changers in both places on the same day . Rates are posted on boards outside each money changer which gives you the opportunity to work out how much you will get. As said, it's worth negotiating of changing large amounts. It's a straightforward process (and safe, in my experience).

If you are budget conscious, and have not booked at S, there are cheaper hotels and guest houses near the stupa...

Good luck.

scoodly

UK/Goa
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to change my English pounds please

Thank you everyone.

Look forward to coming there.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
7,961 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to change my English pounds please

Hi goatraveller..

you can exchange your GBP at the exit point of tribhuvan international airport.. the more you exchange the more you can bargain..try to get better deal in exchange of more money.

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to change my English pounds please

Lalbahadur

Only problem about making the Exchange at the exit point in the airport is that they typical give the most lousy exchange rate in all of Nepal!

UK/Goa
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to change my English pounds please

I am thinking to do a small exchange in Goa with GBP to maybe 50 dollars for the visa and taxi and then play it by ear after. The registered money changers sound good. Thanks again.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
10,063 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to change my English pounds please

Hi

Vsias need to be paid for with a 'convertible currency'' not rupees - a !5 day visa is $15.

scoodly

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to change my English pounds please

I suggest that if you change some cash into US$ in Goa you get small ($10, $5) bills so that you can pay the exact amount at the Visa desk. Then change simply $10 into rupees at the airport to pay for your taxi. You will get a better $ to Rupee rate for the rest once you've left the airport