We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations on our Itinerary

Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
15 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations on our Itinerary

We are two women traveling for just a short trip to Nepal. Unfortunately our vacation schedule doesn't allow for longer. Our goals are to have a good introduction, feel to the Nepal culture and country with a mix of shopping (very little), sightseeing of culture and religious places and then some scenery.

This is what I have so far for our itinerary, what is your thoughts? Is it not enough to fill our days? We are wanting to see as much as possible in each day, would you add or change anything?Would appreciate any help or comments.

Day 1 - Arrive in Kathmandhu at 4:15 PM, explore area, shops. Stay at Hotel Friends Home

Day 2- Visit Boudha (Boudhanath Stupa) in early AM, village of Boudhanilkantha, Kopan Monastery, and then back to Kathmandu in the evening to stay again at Hotel Friends Home - should we move to Bhakatapur instead??

Day 3- Patan (Lalitpur) and then staying in and exploring Bhakatapur at Peacock Guest House. I feel like this day is a little light, any suggestions on something to add?

Day 4- Flight in early afternoon to Pokhara, staying a Peace Dragon Lodge. Explore the lake and the World Peace Pogada and Pokhara.

Day 5- Wake up for sunrise at Sarankot and then arranging an all day hike with hotel to visit villages, mountain scenery. Staying again at Peace Dragon Lodge.

Day 6- Travel day, taking a morning flight from Pokhara to Kathmandu (11:00 AM) and then our evening flight home (5:40 PM)

Would appreciate any help, comments, things we missed etc! Thanks! This is a dream trip for me and I am looking forward to my first introduction to Nepal!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations on our Itinerary

No Problem

My main comment would be to head for Pokhara the day after you arrive in Kathmandu as this will in effect give you a buffer day or two if you have problems with your flight – All internal flights in Nepal operate on line of sight landings and take off’s, so delays and cancelations are quite common if you are unlucky with the weather,

I haven’t stayed in the hotels you mention, so can’t comment on them, but f possible, you should arrange your first nights Kathmandu accommodation with a hotel that offers a free airport pick-up.

Here are a few more ideas of things to do and see in Kathmandu and Pokhara

1) Buddha Air Mountain Flight

2) Bodnath

3) Visit Kopan Monastery

4) Pashupatinath

5) Swayambhunath

6) Full day in Bhaktapur

7) Durbar Square Kathmandu and Patan

8) Day trip to Nagarkot and overnight – With luck spectacular sunrise

Pokhara

1) Paragliding

2) Micro-Light flight

3) Devi Falls and Gupteshwor Mahadev cave

4) Walk to the Peace Pagoda and then return to lakeside by boat over Fewa Tal

5) Visit The Tibetan Refugee camp

6) Sunrise at Sarangkot

Details and photos of all the above on the Things to do “Tips” section on this link

members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/4/

Good Luck and Happy Travels

Rob

Edited: 19 August 2013, 07:53
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations on our Itinerary

This one maybe ?

Day 01: Arrive in Kathmandu and explore the area nearby.

Day 02: Mountain Flight in the morning and Kathmandu sightseeing (Boudhanath stupa, Pashupatinath Temple, Patan Durbar Squar and Swayambhunath (monkey temple)) and over night again in Kathmandu.

Day 03: Kathmandu - Pokhara flight or bus. Explore lake side.

Day 04: Pokhara to Sarangkot for sunrise view. After noon Davis fall and world peace pagoda visit.

Day 05: Pokhara to Kathmandu flight or bus and visit Kathmandu Durbar squar

Day 06: Visit bhaktapur for some hours and come back to the hotel and fly out from Nepal.

Cheers,

Ram

Managing director

Mountain Ram Adventures

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations on our Itinerary

I think your proposed Day 3 will offer you enough, rather than being 'a bit light'. Pathan Dhurbar Square is fascinating, (and quieter than Kathmandu Dhurbar Square), and could easily occupy the morning, whilst soaking up the atmosphere of Bhaktapur would easily fill an afternoon (and you've still got to find time for the 45 minute drive, and lunch !).

Rob's suggestion for turning your itinerary upside down is worth considering, for the reason that he gives, though it depends partly on when you are going to Nepal. If it's during the monsoon season he's certainly got a point. Personally I've never had a problem with postponed Pokhara flights in Spring or Autumn, and have flown that route about ten times.

Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
15 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations on our Itinerary

Thank you for your suggestions. Our trip is planned for mid October.

I am going to revise it to the following...

Day 1 - Arrive, explore Kathmandu, Thamel

Day 2- Visit Boudha (Boudhanath Stupa) in early AM, Kopan Monastery, Patan, and then back to Kathmandu in the evening to stay again at Hotel Friends Home

Day 3- Fly to Pokhara

Day 4- Pokhara

Day 5- Fly to Kathmandu and stay in Bakatapur.

Day 6- Explore Bakatapur and then fly out in the evening.

Thank you again for your helpful suggestions.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations on our Itinerary

Hello TXCanadian,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

You already have received lots of helpful posts from experienced travelers. I wouldn't also avoid your first itinerary and visit Pokhara first rather than flying to Kathmandu from Pokhara and flying back home on the same day.

Your second itinerary is doable without risks but I will put little edits:

Day 1 - Arrive, explore Kathmandu, Thamel

Day 2- Visit Boudha (Boudhanath Stupa) in early AM, Kopan Monastery, Kathmandu Durbar Square, Pashupatinath, Swyambhunath etc. and then back to Kathmandu in the evening to stay again at Hotel Friends Home

Day 3- Fly to Pokhara

Day 4- Pokhara sightseeing [World Peace Stupa and International Mountain Museum is must

Day 5- Fly to Kathmandu and stay in Bakatapur.

Day 6- Explore Bakatapur, Patan and Thimi and then fly out in the evening.

If you want another beautiful place to stay on Day 5 then Nagarkot will be another option. In case if you stay in Nagarkot then you can come back to Bhaktapur on Day 6 and visit places around before heading to Airport.

Here is a sample itinerary for a week trip:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c182391/Nepal…

Good Luck!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations on our Itinerary

You do have good itinerary to see the cultural sites and the Himalayan scenery. Reading your post you are looking for more of old monuments than touristic areas.

When you are in Thamel visit some of the alley ways to Kathmandu Durbar Square THEY ARE PUZZLING BUT INTERESTING with old temples which are ignored by most of the travelers and Panauti which is 1 hour 15 minutes away is a perfect place to see old Newari daily life, old houses and less touristic place too.

I am sure you will enjoy these places too.

Bhuwan

Calcutta, West...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations on our Itinerary

dear all forum members

My family consists of my 2 children and we parents are visiting nepal from 12th oct 2013 .i am boarding down at Sugauli by GKP exp.in the morning.please help me giving some idea of the place as i found no information on net regarding the place.shall i proceed further or board down at muzaffarpur pl mail me in kamaldatta1972@gmail.com

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations on our Itinerary

Namaste Kamal Datta

There is a direct tourist bus service from Delhi to Kathmandu, if you are in Delhi and if you will be in Sunawali then there will be another tourist bus (Salina) from Bhairawaha (5 mins away from Sunawali). Sunawali and Bhairawha have good hotels and you could spend a night if you arrive in the afternoon.

If you are planning to go to pokhara then local buses are avilable and to Chitwan, Salina will take you to Narayanghat and you can drive by car to national Park area with in 1:30 hours.

Hope this will help, have a good time

Bhuwan

Calcutta, West...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations on our Itinerary

Dear Bhuwan

actually we are coming from kolkata and due to non avbl of berth in Mithila Exp we have to book in GKP KOL exp and booked upto Sagauli Jn reaching time is around 4 am.My enquiry is abt the place that is Sagauli ,mode of transport /any travel agent/any other means to reach pokhara,

if you know anything abt the place ,please do help us as I found no info abt the sagauli Jn in net.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations on our Itinerary

Hello Kamal

First I thought if you had miss spelled for Suwanali but I am sorry but if you need a transportation then you could get help from the vehicle services from Birgunj that will come to pick you in Sangauli and then to Kathmandu.

I actually don't know of any travel agency from Sangauli but I could help you from Birgunj.

Enjoy the travel

Bhuwan

+977-9849866641

Edited: 20 August 2013, 16:23