We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indian , Thai , restaurant in Kathmandu

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Indian , Thai , restaurant in Kathmandu

Going to Nepal , 3 days Kathmandu , like eat some Thai and Indian food , can you recommend one of these restaurants .

Any good restaurants with some "Western" Food are also welcome .

We are staying in the Lazimpat area .

Thx Willem

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indian , Thai , restaurant in Kathmandu

Hello jiskefet,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

I haven't eaten Thai foods in Nepal so I am not sure about Thai restaurants. I have been to Kilroys of Kathmandu few times where they have some pretty good Indian meals. That restaurant is in Thamel near Himalayan Bank.

Good Luck!

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indian , Thai , restaurant in Kathmandu

Ok thx .

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indian , Thai , restaurant in Kathmandu

No problem and happy to share what I know!

If you have any questions related to traveling in Nepal then you are always welcome to ask your questions in the forum, members here will be glad to share their experiences with you.

Good Luck!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indian , Thai , restaurant in Kathmandu

cool thing about TA is the ranking of the restaurants and hotels from authentic user like you and me with no other alterior motive (well... for thre most part)

whenever i go to new city i choose restaurants solely based on TA ranking and almost always end up find the place to be decent (except for 1 exception in last three years)

so if you click the link below and find the top rated restaurant on a certain food category - chances are you have probably hit the best that city has to offer - there are exceptions of course - there might be really good restarant and not listed on TA - which is why user like me if find a restaurant ot hotel above and beyond and do not see them listed in TA ( i have them listed - literally put them on the map - and provide the review – same goes for really bad ones to btw)

with that said below is that TA ranking of best eateries in KTM (no absolute guarantee here - but like i said for the most part you will visit a comparatively best place city has to offer)

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g293890-Kathmand…

my fav. for Indian is Ghare -E -Kaba in Hotel Annapruna (little over the top – they could tone it down a little and still be decent)

“Room Doodle” always serves something fusion between Nepali and western – and the ambiance is great

But for Thai – I never bother – for one thing I live in Thailand and insanely sick of Thai food – Indian curries beat Thai by a mile imho – plus a native Thai Restaurateur unlike to Europe and the US never migrate to Nepal to open up a Authentic Thai - to small market for them - so save a decent Thai food for a trip to Thailand or back in Europe and US)

You should not miss out Nepali food - “Thakali Vanca” (Thakali Kitchen) and “Newari Khaja Ghar” (Newari Snack Place) are not to be missed - there are plenty of them in KTM

Top 10 Nepali food per my list

1 – Momo (like dumplings)

2 – Choyela (grilled meat salad)

3 – Chillily Fires (French fries with spicy sauce as a twist)

4 – Thakali Kitchen Nepali Set (Authentic Nepali Food Combo with Dal Bhat)

5 – Sekuwa with Tas (Barbecue mutton with some fixins on the side)

6 – Chatamari (think Pizaa like concoction but with base is rice flour)

7 – Thukpa (Noodle soup like Vienamese Pho)

8 – Samosa or Aloo Chat (Indian Snack)

9 – Chicken Chilli (spicy chicken with vegetable)

10 – Sukuti Sandheko (Dried Buffalo jerky that is spiced up with fresh fixin’s – an excellent beer companion)

Good Luck

Edited: 24 August 2013, 17:55
5. Re: Indian , Thai , restaurant in Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 06:19