We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeping bags

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Sleeping bags

Going to Katmandu for a trek in October-November. I'm tossing whether or not to buy a sleeping bag locally (in New Zealand) before going, although I'm unable to find very warm ones, the warmest 've seen only goes to -15 deg. and I'm told I should get up to -30/-40 - we will be camping every night up to an altitude of over 5000m. I've read that there lots of counterfeit brand bags available there with mediocre quality, etc... Can anyone advise whether I would be able to buy (or rent) a good quality bag in Katmandu (what shop/where) which will keep me warm enough. Tks.

Nepal Eco Adventure
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Private Tours
Earthbound Expeditions
Historical & Heritage Tours, Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
Mountain Monarch Adventures - Private Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Climbing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Other Outdoor Activities
Nepal Hiking Team
River Rafting & Tubing, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, City Tours
Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleeping bags

No Problem

For a great little trekking gear shop to try Sportswear International

members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1ff8af/

The owner of this little shop also has a factory and imports down for his Hi-Himal range which he regularly supplies “Keep” with for their expeditions as well as exporting to Europe, so a Lot better than the average North Fakes available in most trekking gear shops !!

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleeping bags

Hello BRI1811027,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

If you are doing camping trek and going more than 5000 meters for several nights then I recommend you to buy genuine brand rather than buying duplicate sleeping bags. I am not sure if shop mentioned in previous post have genuine products. Made in Nepal fake sleeping bags write -30 / -40 but in reality they will work for 0 / -2/3 etc. So a guide brand is important not to ruin your experiences.

Good Luck!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sleeping bags

You won't need a -40/-50 bag for trekking in Nepal, assuming those ratings are actually accurate.

I am taking a bag rated to -15 celcius on the EBC trek, by most accounts this will be fine but I can always use a fleece or silk liner, or layer up, to add warmth if needed. I will be in lodges though so this will likely be marginally (but not much) warmer than a tent.

I'd recommend a bag comfort rated to -20C/0F or close to it. And by this I mean, a genuine -20C/0F rating meaning a good brand who delivers to their comfort ratings. A fake rated to -20 won't be a -20 bag in most instances. If you can't source a good bag locally (I couldn't in Australia) order one from the USA.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sleeping bags

Re post #2

The shop I mentioned produces and sells it’s own label products, - As mentioned, these shouldn’t be confused with the “North Fakes” that most Kathmandu trekking shops sell.

Although i have slept several times over 5000m, this has always been in Teahouses, but i also think that a 30/-40 bag is somewhat an overkill, my own bag is rated -20 (Comfort) and that sufficed well enough

Best Regards

Rob

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sleeping bags

I've camped at 6000 metres using a Nepalese bag provided by our agent, and slept quite well - it's merely a question of not taking off many clothes for the night ! That's a cheaper option than paying large amounts for a bag that's probably going to be far too warm for use elsewhere . . .

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sleeping bags

##Re: post 4

Thank you for clarifying!

7. Re: Sleeping bags

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 06:20