We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live in Kathmandu

Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Live in Kathmandu

Hi!

I will live and work in Nepal 1 year and have some questions;

- How much do I have to pay in rent pr. month for an appartement ?

For example 30-40 m2 in size and not in a noisy neghboorhud.

- Do I have to pay tax from my salery to Nepal ?

If yes, how much ?

- Is food and other daily things cheap ?

Im from Norway btw.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Live in Kathmandu

I will live in Kathmandu

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live in Kathmandu

Hello vigg1a,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

I am also living and working in Nepal. My monthly expenses are about US$ 500 [about 50,000] per month. I live with my wife and she is Nepali. I pay about NRS 18,000 per month for a 3 room flat. I have to pay for electricity, water, telephone, laundry etc. I also have a house maid to help in the house. I mostly eat lunch and dinner in the house and eat an afternoon meal out of home.

My tax is paid by the organization I work for. I do not pay tax on my own so I am not sure about it. I do not know much more about Nepali rules. I guess it depends on the organizations.

Nepal is quite cheap comparing to Europe. If you eat mostly in the house then I am sure that you can minimize costs of many things.

Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Live in Kathmandu

It depends where you stay and in what kind of home. There is no cheap apartment system in Kathmandu. Most of them are expensive than house. you can rent a small room or stay with locals as homestay or paying guest. You can search for Charvi's Home here at TA.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live in Kathmandu

OP - here is what i would suggest

plan on spending few weeks in hotel once you get to ktm

since there aren’t any good "apartment search" companies in nepal that cater to tourists to the best of my knowledge

even if they did - you may want to see the place first

in ktm in recent years there have been numerous gated community that have sprouted up

there are in relatively quieter location and have decent amenities

some wealthy nepalis buys these in hopes of renting it to foreigners

visit one of these once you get to ktm

i am sure you will find some that might suit your need

I would say for about $300-400 per month you could rent a fairly decent place

as for taxes - you are better off checking with your perspective employer

food is surprisingly more expensive in nepal than other countries in asia

don't be surprised to pay US like prices for meat, cheese, juices etcs

foreign wines are taxed heavily so are not cheap

local greens and vegetables and grains are not too bad

Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Live in Kathmandu

Ok - thx for good advises and answers.

Im considering bringing my own mountainbike to Kathmandu. It costed 4300 USD new - and now its 3-4 years old.

Is there any chance for it to get stolen if I place it outside somewere with a good lock of course ?

And is it a good idea to bring my own bike ?

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live in Kathmandu

Hi again,

Yeah, there are chances of getting things stolen in Kathmandu so be aware of it. You need to keep it in safe places all the time, a lock only can't make it safe always.

Bringing your own bike or not is your choice. I got a van from the office with a driver so for me it's different scenario. May be you can buy a cheap mountain bike in Kathmandu too for using here. I have no idea how much they costs here but I guess not US$ 4300.

Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live in Kathmandu

sorry to say this - but unfortunately in ktm bicycles are stolen often.

a chinese built one will set you back about $300 or so in ktm

will do the job - but won't be anywhere near yours as you may know

Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Live in Kathmandu

Ok, Its actually the same in Norway - I never place it outside with a lock.

But I am considering bring it in aswell. Im going to do a lot of mountainbiking - and I will keep it insight all the time. Maybe get a cheaper one to do daily trips in the city.

9. Re: Live in Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2013, 13:34
10. Re: Live in Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2013, 13:34