We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe food in Nepal

Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safe food in Nepal

Hi,

Will stay in Kathmandu a year;

- What are safe/unsafe food to buy in the supermarked ? Frozen chicken, salmon other.

- What are safe/unsafe in resturants ?

- What are safe/unsafe vegetables/fruit ?

If anyone knows about a list let me know.

Im from Norway btw - are used to much fish, chicken and minced meat

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe food in Nepal

Hello vigg1a,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

- I regularly buy frozen meat items from Supermarket and so far everything is fine. I also buy fresh meat from cold stores.

- I recently encountered with cockroaches in Food Bazaar restaurant in Thamel. Before this happened it was my favorite restaurant but not anymore. If you can manage then it is good to eat in your place rather than eating in the restaurant. There are also some other good restaurants that I have been to like; Rum Doodle, Fire and Ice, Helena's, Kilroy's of Kathmandu etc.

- Fresh fruits are generally safe, not sure about unsafe items.

Good Luck!

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,733 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe food in Nepal

Hallo Vigg, you're welcome here in Tripadvisor.

In Supermarkets you'll find easily safe food. About meet I prefer not buy frozen one but I Always buy fresh one because I don't trust in the freezing systems available in Nepal because off load shedding.

About the restaurants there're so many that it'll be difficult to say. The ones mentioned by our friend Rhythm are very famous, but a little more expensive than others. Fire and Ice is one of my favourite, they made a Pizza so good that it's difficult to find one better here in Milan (Italy), and helena has one of the best Tandoori Chicken of Kathmandu (in my opinion).

About friut I usually buy in local market. The importance is use Always purified water to wash vegetables and food, and maybe better add some disinfectant :-)

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
10,512 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe food in Nepal

Hi

I have not lived in Nepal but have bought and eaten fresh fruit and vegetables. I treated them with an iodine solution - this is standard advice really for uncooked food (and safer if cooking anyway). Even if you are living in Thamel there are many cheaper, safe tourist-standard restaurants than those mentioned and there are also many local eating places. No doubt you will find food, supermarkets and restaurants that suit you over time.

Good luck.

scoodly

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
453 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe food in Nepal

Dhal bhaat was the safe choice when we went and we ate plenty !

Carthage, Tunisia
Level Contributor
996 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe food in Nepal

I live in Kathmandu too and regular buy from the supermarkets and also fruit and vegetables off the street. I was all fruit and vegetables in water with iodine in (Lygols solution available from the supermarkets) then rinse it in bottled or purified water to get rid of the taste. I usually buy Nina and Hager brand frozen meet but sometimes buy other brands and have had no problems. Fresh chicken at the moment is not a good idea because of a bird flu outbreak in the valley. Restaurants, there is so many you can never get around them all! A couple of my favourites are Saigon Pho opposite the Shangri La Hotel, Dechenling in Thamel and Lhakpa's Chulo in Pulchowk.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,671 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe food in Nepal

If you're going to stay one year in Nepla, being picky about your food does not make sense. Better to eat everything and to build your immunity, even if it means some diarrhea in the first month.

7. Re: Safe food in Nepal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 05:16