We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price of taxi from Kahmandu airport to Thamel?

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
France
1 post
Save Topic
Price of taxi from Kahmandu airport to Thamel?

How much should i be roughly expected to be paying to get a taxi from the Kathmandu airport to Thamel. It would be good to know as it'll be the first thing i do and it would be nice not to get ripped off straight away!

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price of taxi from Kahmandu airport to Thamel?

No more than Rs500 I think

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price of taxi from Kahmandu airport to Thamel?

It's probably worth changing 10 Euros into rupees in the airport (no more than that as you'll tend to get a better rate at the numerous Bureaux de Change in Thamel). Agree the fare before you start the journey.

It's an unfortunate introduction to Nepal - but Kathmandu airport is the only place I've ever felt likely to be ripped off - by and large I've encountered very few scams / rip-offs in Nepal. Fortunately the agent we use sends a vehicle to collect us, and also a guy to help with baggage. This means that we can avoid the mass of would-be 'porters' who will descend on you as you leave the terminal, offering to carry your bag.

It's our fault. Some guy carries your bag to a taxi - all of fifty metres away, and expects a tip. You feel in your pocket and out comes a £1 coin, a $1, or a Euro. That might not seem much to you, but by local standards it's a very good rate of pay for a small job - much better than carrying a load on trek for $15 per day !

Edited: 07 September 2013, 22:10
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price of taxi from Kahmandu airport to Thamel?

alanyeti mostly covered it all

you are not going to get outright ripped off in nepal

scams are rare

mostly you might pay a buck or two extra being a tourist

not getting the level of service that you paid for, however, is common

that again is mostly not intentional, but rather due to lack of training and due to poor infrastructure

if you have worked with an agency asked them to send a van to be picked off

you might, again, pay a buck or two extra

but it spares you from the circus outside of the airport

all the touts asking to carry your bag and offering you taxi

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price of taxi from Kahmandu airport to Thamel?

Hello StephanosParios,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

In the airport there are lots of touts who will ask you for tip so never allow anyone [if you have someone to pickup you then different case] to carry your bag. If you give your bag to anyone then they will ask for money. I always avoid them.

Good Luck!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
8,524 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price of taxi from Kahmandu airport to Thamel?

Hi

There are a number of options to get a taxi:

There is a pre-paid taxi counter on the right just before you leave the airport. You won't miss it - they will get your attention. The prices to numerous destinations are displayed on a board behind the counter. It is the aleast hassle option (though hotel and trekking touts hang around there) but not the cheapest. Last year it was 550 rupees to Thamel, this could have increased of course.

The taxis waiting outside are a little cheaper and negotiation is possible but is not what eveybody wants to do after a long flight. The first price offered to me last year was 500 rupees which I negotiated down to 400 without too much effort.

The cheapest taxi option is to walk out of the airport and find one on the street which is not too difficult. I did this last year going back and forth to the airport to find lost luggage and the price was 200 - 250 rupees but I was with a local.

So, there is no single answer to the question but as AJ said, big rip-offs are rare.

scoodly

Chamonix...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Price of taxi from Kahmandu airport to Thamel?

Thank you everybody for your answers, all of which have been useful. Sounds like i dont have too much to worry about.

Thanks.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price of taxi from Kahmandu airport to Thamel?

Unfortunately the prepaid taxis does not avoid hassles. There is always a 'guide' that tries to come with you in the taxi and to bring you to his hotel instead of your hotel. The taxi driver himself is honest.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Price of taxi from Kahmandu airport to Thamel?

Hello

After arrinving at the airport , we like to go to Patan by taxi , we are with 4 persons , is it easy to find a taxi that can hold 4 people and 4 backpacks , last time i was at the airport there where all small taxi's that could hold max 3 persons .

Thx

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Price of taxi from Kahmandu airport to Thamel?

Hello jiskefet,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

I generally call for my office Jeep if I am in or out from the airport which is spacious and comfortable. A taxi can hold 4 people but won't be that much comfortable for sure. You can probably have 2 taxi to go to Patan or arrange a van through an agent.

Good Luck!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
8,524 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Price of taxi from Kahmandu airport to Thamel?

Hi

Visiting with two friends and meeting another traveller we hired via the pre-paid counter - a large van was available in moments. Slightly more than the standard taxis, sorry it was a few years ago, cna't remember the cost.

scoodly