We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Everest Base Camp Trek late Feb/March 2014-Join our sm

USA
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mount Everest Base Camp Trek late Feb/March 2014—Join our sm

Hallo Hiker and Trekkers everywhere! We, 2 American women (in our 30s and 50s) have been planning the ultimate EBC trek for quite some time. We wanted to avoid going with a big international outfit to cut down on unnecessary expense and to have a more authentic experience, and hence polled many Nepal trekkers on their guide recommendations. We have now found the PERFECT local guide (fully accredited, extremely nice and responsive, and HIGHLY recommended), who has put together a 12 day trek for us, leaving at the very end of February to get a bit of a head start of all the March groups. The cost is very reasonable, around USD 1600 per person, which the entire trek (incl. accommodation, all meals, porters etc.), as well as domestic airfare plus 3 nights in Kathmandu (also sightseeing there and airport transfers.) We are looking for others to join us to form a small group of about 10 people. We are avid hikers and have done some altitude hiking in the US, Switzerland and Peru. Please let me know if you are interested, I have a lot more details on the itinerary etc. that I can share.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Everest Base Camp Trek late Feb/March 2014—Join our sm

Hi ttwu

To find so many people it might be worth casting your new wider - consider posting on trekinfo.com and trekkingpartners.com too.

Good luck.

scoodly

USA
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Everest Base Camp Trek late Feb/March 2014—Join our sm

Thank you so much Scoodly! I also posted this on trekinfo.com, but had not previously heard of trekkingpartners.com, will post there now. Much appreciate your suggestion!

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Everest Base Camp Trek late Feb/March 2014—Join our sm

You're welcome. TP worked for me last year. More people should make the trek a little scheaper too with the cost of the guide being shared.

scoodly

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Everest Base Camp Trek late Feb/March 2014—Join our sm

Hello scoodly

Iv been reading alot of post on ta and you seem like you know what your talking about.

I no youve probably ansered these a hundred times but if you can help me out id really appreciate it.

Me and my brother are thinking of hiring a guide and a porter between us and treking ebc i thought about a tour company but figured we could go at our own pace and see were we end up without any concrete plans.

Can you get accomadation,food,water on the way without booking and what would this cost.

Are the guides/porters easy going with days if we decide to stay on somewere for a day or to longer.

When would you go to avoid larger crowds while still having reasonable weather.

Im not trying to save on cash i just thought we would enjoy ourselves more at our own pace with your experiance would this be a good idea for two thirty year old aussies or should i lock in destinations and pre book.

If you can think of anything else that might help us on our quest id love to hear it.

Thanks scoodly

Ryan

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Everest Base Camp Trek late Feb/March 2014—Join our sm

"Can you get accomadation,food,water on the way without booking" YES, though at busy times the guide may either phone ahead, or send the porter on ahead to reserve a room

"and what would this cost" ACCOMMODATION around US$3 per night, FOOD: you'd live comfortably on $20 per person per day

"Are the guides/porters easy going with days if we decide to stay on somewere for a day or to longer." YES - you're paying them for their time, so an extra day's wages (without having to cart a load) is normally very welcome !

"When would you go to avoid larger crowds while still having reasonable weather." LATE NOVEMBER has normally been good - after the peak season, but generally clear days and pleasant temperatures whilst the sun is up. I trekked in the Annapurna Sanctuary / Ghorepani area in April this year - not too crowded (other than Poon Hill for sunrise) and weather ok (though cloudy after 10 a.m., therefore restricted views)

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Everest Base Camp Trek late Feb/March 2014—Join our sm

Hi Ryan

Trekking with a guide and porter hired on a 'daily rate' is more flexible than joining a tour. Rather than a set, rigid itinerary you decide where to eat and sleep, how long you trek each day, choose side trips etc. A possible constraint is the overall length of the trek; the staff would be hired for a set number of days. Maybe discuss this possibility with the agent beforehand - I paid a porter/guide extra salary when a trek took longer than planned. Guides and porters are happy to get extra work if it does not interfere with another trek they might have lined up.

Finding food and water during the day is no problem - there are plenty of lodges for tea and lunch breaks. It is usual to find accommodation as you trek and booking is not the norm - yet. Arrive in a village look around a lodge or to and take your pick - 5 minutes later boots will be off, thongs on and you will enjoying a cup of tea and taking in the views. In high season it is sometimes necessary to think a little more about finding a lodge. Lodges can fill up and sometimes people have to sleep in the dining. There are some simple tactics to avoid this; stay in the villages that are typical lunch stops that large groups do not use, set off early (most people don;t and there will be fewer people on the trail). The guide will have phone numbers of some of the lodges and can phone ahead to rooms the night before or in the morning and the porter can be sent ahead to get the rooms. These methods mean you do not choose the lodge and reduce the flexibility a little.

All that said, it is not usually a problem finding a bed even at the busiest time in October and November (and a night in the dining room is all part of the adventure). In spring, the next busiest time, we had no problem finding lodges on the main trail; only one lodge was full (the first choice in Namche, a hundred others to choose from), we chose not to stay in a lodge because there was a large group there. A couple of lodges filled up by late afternoon but there was capacity at other places (Gorak Shep and Gokyo) as best as I could tell.

Food and accommodation will cost about $25 per person per day on average. This will get a plentiful and a reasonably varied diet and a few luxuries such as chocolate, fizzy drinks and the occasional beer. It could be les...or more.

Given a free choice I would start the trek in mid-February; very comfortable temps to walk in at lower altitudes and not too cold higher up (the right kit deals with the cold). There is little rain and cloud (typically) and humidity is low so the views of the mountains are crystal clear. There are few other trekkers too. March is still good but as spring progresses humidity, the number of cloudy days and the chance of rain or snow increases. So do trekker numbers and by April the trails can be busy. My second suggestion is late November and December because trekkers numbers reduce and the weather gets more relaibly stable. This, and a number of recent Octobers, have had unsettled weather; lots of precipitation and therefore clouds that obscure the views, flight disruptions too.

Whenever you go, there is no need to lock in destinations or pre-book. If the overall time in Nepal is is limited it might be worth doing some preparation before you; for example, contact a few agents, let them know what you want, start discussions and draw up a short list of agents/private guides to meet before finalising negotiations and deciding.

There are other ways to trek; hiring a porter/guide or trekking independently...

Good luck.

scoodly

Edit: didnlt see Alan's reply before writing mine.

Edited: 04 November 2013, 10:02
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mount Everest Base Camp Trek late Feb/March 2014—Join our sm

Hi there, can you please let me know what the specific itinary dates are that you have arranged.

Many thanks.

8. Re: Mount Everest Base Camp Trek late Feb/March 2014—Join our sm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2014, 05:17