We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight Bangkok to Katmandu

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Flight Bangkok to Katmandu

Hi

Have been comparing many airline prices for tickets from Bangkok to Katmandu, and feeling they are all pretty expensive .. Once before someone suggested a really cheap alternative when I was flying somewhere else, so am wondering if anyone is able to suggest anything to this query.

Cheers

Narelle

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight Bangkok to Katmandu

if you flap your angel wings really hard and catch the right thermals you may not need an airline

apart from that if you do get a seemingly cheap deal it will have dreadful connections and not be worth the hassle

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight Bangkok to Katmandu

Haha!!! Have to flap REALLY hard!!!

What you're saying I can see is right .. not liking the time frame on the cheapies.. Reckon we'll have to end up biting the bullet.

Thanks for giving me a laugh

Narelle

Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight Bangkok to Katmandu

I have also been looking at bangkok to Kathmandu flights ad there are a number that are in the $250 range, but as you say, the time of the flight and the lay over times are really horrible and add up to what would be 15-24 hours of misery. The one flight that did appeal was a Jet Air flight that left bkk early afternoon, arrived Mumbai about 5.30, and then left Mumbai at 10.40am the next day. That meant a 17 hour lay over in Mumbai, which could provide the opportunity for a pleasant evening in Mumbai, a decent sleep and a second flight at a very civilized time of day.

I have a question though, which I posted on the Mumbai forum but no one there has replied to, so I'm hoping that some Kathmandu poster may be able to help. My question is- is it logistically feasible to leave Mumbai airport, spend an evening in the City, get a hotel, and get back in time for a 10.40 flight the next day without it being so difficult to not be worth it? And if the answer is yes, then what visa would be needed for this brief stop over?

Thank you very much to anyone who can help.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
11,400 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight Bangkok to Katmandu

Hi

I don't know about the logistics but if you do leave the airport a transit visa is requred. It can be applied for within 15 days of entering India and is valid for three days in the country.

scoodly

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight Bangkok to Katmandu

Do a layover in BOM and money saved by not taking a direct flight (either with Nepal or Thai Airlines) is offset with hotel, visa etc while turning a straight 3 hour flight into an epic day and half long journey. Uh huh...this makes lot of sense...haha!!

Let me give you a rundown on BKK- KTM connctions

Two direct flights - Nepal Airlines and Thai Airways

Nepal Airlines can be anywhere from 330-600 depending on when you buy and fly

Thai Aitways almost always will cost above 600 and up to 700 with a rare 500 or so once a year sale

Other options are Air Asia connecting via KUL or Jet Airways via DEL or BOM (via DEL is shorter and better connection but online search almost always gives BOM layover as the route - to get around that you need to break the trip into BKK-DEL and DEL - KTM doing the search) These options might save you about 100 bucks or so in the lend but even that seems very rare these days

There are other ways to get to KTM via BKK transiting through other cities like Calcutta, Paro, Dhaka, Guangzhou etc but rarely results into fare chaper than 400

Good Luck

uk
Level Contributor
345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight Bangkok to Katmandu

I looked at this route myself however Thai Airways were extremely expensive. I have since decided I will be flying back to Delhi spending a few days there (which i would like to do anyway) and getting a direct Del-BKK flight which was more reasonable.

7. Re: Flight Bangkok to Katmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2014, 06:18