We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VISA process at airport on arrival? Visa assistance company?

Abilene, Texas
Level Contributor
182 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
VISA process at airport on arrival? Visa assistance company?

We are U.S. nationals and are flying into Kathmandu from Bangkok in late December. I've read we may get a tourist visa on arrival at the airport. We will be in Nepal for 4 nights.

I'm a bit uncomfortable arriving without a visa in hand. What if we're refused for some bizarre reason?

What do we need for the visa application at the airport?

Is it best that we should get our visa before leaving the USA?

Has anyone used any agency in the USA that may assist getting a visa before we depart the USA? If so, what agency? How long does the process require using an agency?

We do not live in any community in the USA where we may visit a consular office to try to get a visa. So, we either get a visa at the airport, or, use an agency of some kind. Your kind suggestions are appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
432 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VISA process at airport on arrival? Visa assistance company?

Howie G

You can send in your form to the consulate in NY but you also need to send your passport. That's something we were not comfortable with. We also tried calling with no luck. If you have no other way to get to a consulate, I recommend doing it on arrival. All you need is $25 ( 15 day visa) and a passport photo. I don't think they deny anyone. We got here two days ago. You have to fill out two forms. The line will be long but no different than any airport and have correct change

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,006 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VISA process at airport on arrival? Visa assistance company?

The simple answer is don’t worry – Thousands of people get their visa’s on arrival in Nepal every year and few if any have problems – I have travelled to Nepal 10 times over the last 20 years and apart from the first time, I have obtained my visa on arrival and often been off the plane, visa obtained, customs cleared, luggage collected from the carousel and in a taxi on the way to Thamel in less than an hour

All you need is a visa application form, two passport photos (This is what is stipulated but i can’t remember ever using more than one) and the correct visa fee in US $’s to cover the length of stay you have chosen for your trip.

You can sped the process up by downloading the visa application form and having it filled out ready with the photo in place and the correct amount of money at hand

I have written a walkthrough on arriving at Kathmandu Tribuvan airport and there is a link to the downloadable visa application form on it as well as details of what to do on arrival

members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/9/

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

Abilene, Texas
Level Contributor
182 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VISA process at airport on arrival? Visa assistance company?

Thank you kcheung. And, Rob, thank you so much for your link. I appreciate your help!

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
11,573 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VISA process at airport on arrival? Visa assistance company?

Hi Howie

I have found the visa on arrival process straightforward process too and prefer not trust my passport to an embassy and the postal service in the UK.

I have not read about any refusals of a v-o-a on here or others forums but it's theoretically possible - but, I guess, so is refused entry with a visa in the passport. Nepal has quite a simple and easy visa regime - especially compared to its neighbours.

scoodly

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VISA process at airport on arrival? Visa assistance company?

Rob has already given youall the information you need :-)

So I can just second his advise; there are no need to get the visa before arrival. It will be easily obtained at arrival. There are no evaluation of the individual....all that is checked is that your passport is current and then you get the visa. It is just a money machine.

Abilene, Texas
Level Contributor
182 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VISA process at airport on arrival? Visa assistance company?

Thank you all.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,006 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VISA process at airport on arrival? Visa assistance company?

No Problem – Pleased to be of help

If you get the chance, then please pop up a post letting us all know how you get on as this will be useful confirmation to others in a similar situation

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

Gateshead, England
Level Contributor
368 posts
944 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VISA process at airport on arrival? Visa assistance company?

Howie

I'm just another who got the visa on arrival with the completed form, photographs and money without any problems. In fact the queue we stood in on arrival were nearly all going through the same process. You'll not have an issue. Enjoy Nepal it's a wonderful place.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
158 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VISA process at airport on arrival? Visa assistance company?

You can get it at the airport , or you can also go on line with the Nepal Embassy in DC, download the application, and send it in with the required information and payments, passports etc. It takes about 7 days to process.

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
60 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VISA process at airport on arrival? Visa assistance company?

We just sent our passports to the Nepalese Embassy in New York to get the visas in advance. Last year it took approx. 2 hours to get through the line at the airport and I am hoping this shortens our wait as we are going to be exhausted from 21 hours of travel (e.g. I don't recall, but I am hoping there is a separate line for those who already have visas). Does anyone recall if having the visa in advance helps expedite things?