We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fair tips for guide and porter

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Fair tips for guide and porter

Hello,

I am travelling to Nepal soon and has lined up a 15 day trek to Gokyo Lake. What is a fair tip for my guide and porter?

Thank you for your help.

Level Contributor
65 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fair tips for guide and porter

Hi

Check this link, it will give u some idea

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293889-i9243-k695…

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,040 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fair tips for guide and porter

Hi

For a job done well (tips are not mandatory), 1 day's pay per week which is about 15% is a fair amount in my view.

That said, after spending a lot of time with them it's different to tipping a taxi driver after a short ride (say) and you will know what the right amount is when the time comes.

scoodly

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,619 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fair tips for guide and porter

Agree with scoodly – For more detailed info please see this link

members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1ebc34/

Good Luck and Happy safe Trekking

Rob

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fair tips for guide and porter

Aggree with Scoodly and Rob!

1 day extra pay per 1 week of trekking.

Guides are paid approx. 20-30 USD per day, porters are paid approx. 15-20 USD per day.

The link provided in post is way ot of context.

Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fair tips for guide and porter

Thank you all for your reply.. :-)

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
399 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fair tips for guide and porter

So you (collectively) would say 15% per person on the trek?

7. Re: Fair tips for guide and porter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2014, 12:49
Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fair tips for guide and porter

There are no compulsion on tipping but your staffs will expect the tips from you if they work good. If there is something wrong on the trip then they won't expect the tip. I agree about the 15% tipping mentioned above. Some clients tip more where some tip less. That means if you are happy and can afford to tip more that's fine. If you are not happy and also can't afford more then that's also not bad. The only thing is tipping is expected in Nepal.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,040 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fair tips for guide and porter

Hi Robert

I would say 15% in total rather than from each person.

scoodly

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,619 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fair tips for guide and porter

Agree with scoodly – If you hire two members of staff, and there are 2 of you trekking, then the extra days pay per week (Which works out at around 15%) is what each member of staff should end up with – Obviously if you are very happy with them you can increase this, and likewise, if you are dissatisfied you can decrease it a bit – But Please remember to be as generous as you can be as this is really very small money in comparison to what your trip will be costing you, and it will mean a Lot to the Nepali’s you employ

Good Luck

Rob