We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday extension advice please

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
18 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday extension advice please

Hi all,

I'm going to Nepal in April and I have booked a trek to Gokyo Lakes & EBC with AME treks. I'll have a few days to spare at the end and I have decided that going to look at some birds down at Chitwan NP and some other locations would be relaxing.

As I don't want to do the tourist things and I want a guide throughout the trip that can identify a spiny babbler at 1000 yrds, I have been quoted about $700 USD for the trip by Nepal Birding Holidays (http://nepalbirdguide.com/). I don't mind paying the money if the company is any good.

Has anyone used this company or know of this company?

High Venture Plus
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Helicopter Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, City Tours
Mountain Monarch Adventures - Private Day Tours
Climbing Tours, Walking Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Other Outdoor Activities, Sightseeing Tours
Travel Maker South Asia
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Backpacker Treks and Expedition
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
392 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday extension advice please

I've just returned from Nepal and stayed at Hotel Park Side. Their guide Gopal must be the best birdspotter in the world. Read the reviews here on TA and you'll get an idea of what I mean!

Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday extension advice please

how long is your trip for $700 - seems a lot for a couple of days

pretty sure any of the national park guides would be a good spotter as that is their job

find a hotel to stay at and arrange a guide for a morning walk and an afternoon walk

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday extension advice please

two good advices above already

i will add to that 2 comments -

1) $700 for Chitwan trip sounds a bit high - unless it includes door to dor serivce including airfare bharatpur and back, hotel and guide with a trip lasting alteast 3 days

2) if bird wathcing is your thing - while there are many guides in the park, the ones who have the bird expertise are far and few in between with more than 500 species abound - so it is advisable to get a second opion or a recommendation on good guides (as #1 pointed out)

Edited: 21 December 2013, 09:45
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday extension advice please

I am a big fan of Hotel Parkside too....and Gopal has a reputation of beeing one of the best birdspotters and is in generel a fantastic guide. Read some review here:

5. Re: Holiday extension advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2014, 05:18