We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kathmandu Trip-Transport, Places to Visit & General Queries

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kathmandu Trip-Transport, Places to Visit & General Queries

Hi All,

I am planning to visit Nepal In February for a week and had couple of queries regarding the same.

1. Transportation: How to get to Kathmandu from Gorakhpur by road ? Is there any regular bus service that I can take ? What is the duration of travel ?

2. Places to visit: I am planning to spend 3-4 days in Nepal and like to know places to visit in these days ? I am planning to take Bungy Jumping @ The Last Resort.

3. Accommodation: Could you please suggest some good accommodation in Kathmandu ?

4. Visa: How is the Visa process in nepal ? What all documents should be carried ?

Could you please provide your inputs regarding the above queries or point to the website which provides these information, it would be really helpful.!!! :)

Thanks in advance.!! :)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kathmandu Trip-Transport, Places to Visit & General Queries

CJ Adhav Dude

Here are your answers

1 - Gorkahpur to Sunauli Border in a Bus 3 hrs 100 kms or so, cross the border on foot then bus to KTM from there 6 hrs about 270 kms

2 - bungy jumping - do that - ktm essentials: temple runs => swyoambhunath, pashupatinath, bouddhanath, durbarsquares => kantipur, lalitpur, bhaktapur, hill stations => nagarkot, daman, dhulikhel

3 - best on the list you can afforfd below

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g3374769-Kathmandu_Va…

4 - Indian nationals do not require visa or passport - your ration card will do fine if checked at all the border

all the best

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kathmandu Trip-Transport, Places to Visit & General Queries

Thanks a lot neupaneaj..!

Can I cover all those places in 3 days ? What is the best way to roam around these places - Hire a Taxi or Self-Drive ?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kathmandu Trip-Transport, Places to Visit & General Queries

CJ Adhav

no - you cant do all of these in three days -

and by that I mean three days in KTM alone not three total days in Nepal

becasue you will burn one day just to get to KTM from the border and another day to get back to the border

banglore would be another minimum two days in train from the border

holy himalayas - you are looking at spending 1 week on the road my friend!!!!

which is why i often suggested indian tourists with tight timeline to take a flight instead of turning into an epic road journey

in fact after all is said and done 1 or 2 hours flight from most parts of India may not be all that expnesive than multi -segment road journey lasting for days

but having said that I hate long cross country train journeys

so don't necessarily take my biased adivice

some folks enjoy that sort of thing

may be this way you can see most of India as well

(i know that is not your original questions - just though i'd let you know)

and now to get back to your original question

in three days you can barely do the 2 temples and 2 durbar squares each and may be squueze in a bunjee jumping trip which will burn a day

and you will need to hire a taxi with a driver

all the best

Edited: 02 January 2014, 15:40
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kathmandu Trip-Transport, Places to Visit & General Queries

I have booked flights from Bangalore to Lucknow and vice versa. I am attending a friends wedding in Gorakhpur and after that I will be getting 5 days to roam around Nepal. In that case, Kathmandu and Bungy Jumping would be more than enough..!

5. Re: Kathmandu Trip-Transport, Places to Visit & General Queries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 07:21