We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying walking poles in Kathmandu

London
Level Contributor
379 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Buying walking poles in Kathmandu

Hi

I do not have any experience in using walking poles, but given future trekking plans in himalayas i bought a pair to help with potential knee discomfort, but have now realised i cannot bring them with me (too big), is it easy to get poles in Kathmandu that are reliable

i realise many say you can get all your kit there, but to bring shoes, but is the same with poles?

thanks

Mark

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying walking poles in Kathmandu

You can buy walking poles in Kathmandu...no problem.

If the price vs quality sounds too good to be true, then it probably is; just like in London or anywhere else in the world.

But offcourse there much more copy products to avoid in countries, that don't enforce copyrights to be respected.

Just use your head before you use your money, then you will be fine!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying walking poles in Kathmandu

Hello,

There are lots of trekking shops selling trekking equipment in Kathmandu and I am sure that you will find one easily. Cheaper China brand poles start from less than US$ 10 for a pair. You can also buy high quality poles here without difficulties. I went to The North Face sometime ago with my friend. They also have poles starting from $75-80. If you buy the branded gears they will be expensive than China brands but are more reliable.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,649 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying walking poles in Kathmandu

Actually I don't recommend expensive poles, because ... it is very easy to lose or forget them somewhere.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying walking poles in Kathmandu

Are you sure that, when telescoped down, your existing poles won't fit into your luggage ? Mine have always done so. If not, yes, they are readily, and quite cheaply, available in Kathmandu.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 10:33
Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying walking poles in Kathmandu

As Alan says, most poles telescope down. Good advice above.

I find poles make a HUGE difference on the long descents (I am now 51 and carry my own backpack, which is usually 14-17 kilos). From what I have seen, many people do NOT use poles correctly - I bang them in to the ground quite hard, to get proper load transfer (into my arms - poles - ground). By doing this load is taken off the knees - just tapping the poles on the ground will make no difference. I don't use poles on the flat or ascents, unless it is very slippery.

Probably due to this, my poles get quite a hard life, and don't last that long (even the pricier ones) so like Pierre W I tend to get the medium to lower price ones. I even used a wooden stick the first time I trekked in the Everest region - this worked well, even crossing Cho La, one of the high passes.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying walking poles in Kathmandu

good info above already

if you are price senstivie get the knock-off brand in ktm

they still work fine - that is why the they are called just "poles"

if they break en-route you can repalce'em on the trail as well

even these cheap ones telescope down and have decent padding on them

but can't emphasize enough on the use of poles for trekking

even for a fit person let alone someone with a bad knee

London
Level Contributor
379 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying walking poles in Kathmandu

thank you all

with regards to length, this pair doesnt reduce down enough for the bag unfortunately

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying walking poles in Kathmandu

I have bought Leki Replicas in Kathmandu and they worked very well – In fact they only cost me about $4 per pole !!

No doubt the quality as well as the price varies from shop to shop, so if you have time check out a few different places and I am Sure that you will find something that is more than adequate

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Edited: 15 January 2014, 10:13
9. Re: Buying walking poles in Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 06:19