We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gokyo Lakes - October or November?

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
91 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Gokyo Lakes - October or November?

My boyfriend and I are planning to do a 2-week trek to Gokyo Lakes either starting the first week of October or first week of November.

Is it better start in October or November? I heard that the monsoon rains may still happen in September and October, so I am wondering if it is 'safer' to go in November? Also more clear skies?

I've seen some pictures where all of the mountains are covered in snow and other pictures where the lower mountains look brown (mostly dirt) and only the tops of the mountains are snow capped. What is it like in October/November?

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,687 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gokyo Lakes - October or November?

It's better you go in November because in the last 3 years in October there was not so good weather, it was snowy.

If it'll snow in no more than a sunny week everything will be brown again :-) but consider to go in November to find better weather conditions

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gokyo Lakes - October or November?

You can start on November first week, clear skies and clear peaks. You are likely to have good weather at this time.

November is beginning of the winter season so snows doesn't melt quickly and that makes the peaks whiter than in March / April.

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gokyo Lakes - October or November?

As well as the reduced risk of bad weather (cloud etc), Nov would be my choice as the Oct is peak month for trekking in Nepal and the more popular trails, especially those in the Everest region including Gokyo, will be busy or more likely very busy. Obviously there is no guarantee re the weather, but there is less risk of cloud etc in Nov - the winter is the driest period in Nepal, so the nearer to the winter, the less risk. It will be very cold at night especially once above say 3,500m, but there is not that much difference between Oct and Nov in that regard.

If you go to Gokyo, do look at walking up to the 5th and even 6th lakes north of G - few go to the 6th lakes, and some maps do not show them, but you get some fantastic views, especially of Cho Oyu which is a series of vast 8,000m plus peaks on the Tibetan border.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,274 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gokyo Lakes - October or November?

I should even recommend the second half of November as there will be fewer people (but colder).

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,432 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gokyo Lakes - October or November?

Another vote for November, definitely enjoyable and blue sky is for sure!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
91 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gokyo Lakes - October or November?

Do you think the second the third week of October would be okay? Or should we just only consider November at this point? Does a couple weeks make that much of a difference?

We would end the trek on October 18 so just mainly concerned about flight delays out of Lukha. Will it be clear by this time?

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gokyo Lakes - October or November?

Third week should be fine for you. Even second week won't be that bad but the only fear is that monsoon may end till October. There won't be drastic changes in one or two weeks.

Can not say about the flights right now, it's long ahead!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,274 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gokyo Lakes - October or November?

Last year there was absolutely terrible weather from October 13 to 15 (60 hours of nonstop rain) but it doesn't happen each year !

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gokyo Lakes - October or November?

October seems to be very "hit and miss" re the weather - some years it seems to be good (I think 2012 was good), other years Oct can see quite a lot of cloud, rain and (higher up) snow (2013 saw very heavy snow from Typhoon Hailin). Oct remains the peak month for trekking, so everywhere, especially in the Everest region, will be busy or very busy. If I were you I would look more at Nov, or later - the weather should be better (less cloud as you move into the drier winter) and the numbers of other trekkers should start to reduce somewhat in Nov. My preference is Dec and Jan - from 4 quite long treks in 2010 - 13, the trails are quiet, or even very quiet, the weather is generally very clear (but colder at night, especially high up, but as above not that much different from Oct - Nov), getting flights is much easier, and hotel rooms in Ktm are much cheaper. Also more trekking staff (guides etc) are available.

10. Re: Gokyo Lakes - October or November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 05:16