We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short pleasant hike in Kathmandu valley

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Short pleasant hike in Kathmandu valley

Greetings all!

This is my first time on the Kathmandu forum, I am very much looking forward to spending a week there on the way back from Australia in August (rainy season, but I'm sure I will enjoy it none the less!).

I'm looking do a short 3D2N hike around the region, and have found one which includes the following at a very reasonable price. Would you kindly let me know whether this is a decent route as a taster and not too strenuous? I intend to go back one day to do the Everest base camp trek (when I have the physical capacity to do so :-P)

Day 01:

Kathmandu- Chisapani. Drive from Kathmandu to Sundrijal for an hour, trek to Chisapani. Overnight at Chisapani.

Day 02:

Chisapani – Nagarkot: trek to Nagarkot. Overnight at Nagarkot.

Day 03:

Trek down to Changunarayan and visit old Hindu temple Changunaraya and drive back to Kathmandu.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm young and reasonably fit so I'm not looking for "easy easy" but I'd like to be able to enjoy it rather than feel embarassed for not being able to keep up with the pensioners haha!

I'm looking to do it at the start of my stay so I can then have a few days to explore Kathmandu city and recover!

Many thanks

CG

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short pleasant hike in Kathmandu valley

Hello,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

Well, the route you are planning is quite easy hiking route includes some uphill climbing but not too steep. Definitely doable for a young fit person. Nothing to worry about!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short pleasant hike in Kathmandu valley

It's normal / not too difficult short trekking route near Kathmandu valley. You will need to climb a bit from Sundarijal to Chisapani. On the second day to Nagarkot it is flat and down most of the time. You will need to climb a bit before reaching Nagarkot. On the third day it's almost all downhill. In overall it's easily doable trek. I am sure that it won't be hard for you!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short pleasant hike in Kathmandu valley

i suggest you do nagarkot to dhulikhel on day 3 - then after lunch pleasant hike to namobuddha monastery - this option is much more scenic imo

see link below

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293890-i9244-k738…

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short pleasant hike in Kathmandu valley

Thank you all very much for your reassurance and for sharing your wisdom. Sounds like I will have a great time and not be too worn out :-)

CG

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short pleasant hike in Kathmandu valley

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I was wondering if it's easy enough to arrange this when I get to Kathmandu? Is it a relatively common route that's readily available by tour operators in the Thamel area?

I'd book it in advance but I don't want to pay for a Western tour company, I'd rather give my money to a local company.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short pleasant hike in Kathmandu valley

You can book once you arrive as well. It's low season so guides might be widely available even in the agencies.

Good Luck!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short pleasant hike in Kathmandu valley

No problem!

You can come to Kathmandu and book the trip within short time frame!

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short pleasant hike in Kathmandu valley

going for a scenic cultural walk is not a race so whether a pensioner goes faster than you or the other way around doesn't matter as long as you enjoy it learn something and get a good photo

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short pleasant hike in Kathmandu valley

Thanks very much all, from your advice I think I'll fly in and just get to my hotel then have the next day as a full day in Kathmandu and arrange my hike then.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

CG

Edited: 01 May 2014, 16:59
Tokyo, Japan
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Short pleasant hike in Kathmandu valley

I think you should have do this hike