We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annapurna Sanctuary and Tibet logistics

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Annapurna Sanctuary and Tibet logistics

A group of 4 of us are looking to trek to the Annapurna Sanctuary followed by a overland trip from Lhasa to Kathmandu. I have a couple questions regarding both trips.

1) We are wishing to camp instead of staying at tea houses along the trek. Thoughts? Anybody have a recommended agency that specifically camps? I can't seem to find any that outright give that option - the ones I have seen seem to all stay at teahouses, and when asked will say they camp. I don't want to camp in the backyard of the teahouse.

2) Is is better to try and stay with one company for both the trek and the overland, or try and switch companies to one based out of Tibet? I don't like the idea of supporting a Chinese company, but don't want to miss out on Tibet. Any recommendations for tour groups would be appreciated.

I have been on TAAN and looking around, but with over 1000 companies listed, it is hard to know where to begin. We would like to support local, Nepali companies and keep as much of our money in the local economy as possible.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Annapurna Sanctuary and Tibet logistics

Thoughts - Camping treks have become fewer as the number, and quality, of lodges has grown.

I must admit that personally I miss 'the old days' - camping treks were great, but they've become increasingly expensive because of the number of people you need to employ.

Most campsites seem to be next to a lodge !

Espoo
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Annapurna Sanctuary and Tibet logistics

If you want to camp = sleep in tents that certainly can be arranged by any competent trekking agency. That would not make any/much sense, though, on a trail like Annapurna Sanctuary, where there is a good lodge network and no places to camp except lodge vegetable patches. The only reasons would be romance of camping, full lodges in season, or too much money (proper camping trek costs at least twice as much as teahouse trekking).

All Tibet travel is arranged by Chinese, or at best, Tibetan agencies. Nepalese agencies act only as middlemen, visa arranger and supplying the transport to/from border. So it really does not matter too much which agency you use for the Tibet trip, money goes to China (Tibetan owned agencies are of course better in this respect). Please note that flying to Lhasa and then driving back to Nepal is much safer than driving over the Himalaya without enough acclimatization.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Annapurna Sanctuary and Tibet logistics

Hello Sara,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

You already got lots of helpful words from other travelers. I will add some of my words.

1) People really don't camp in Annapurna Base Camp Trek. Tea houses are widely available so it's easy to eat and sleep there. Camping is doable but as said before it costs a lot higher than trekking based on tea houses. I only did couple of camping treks in Nepal but they were in remote regions. I trekked with a private guide and he arranged everything via an agency but that was long ago. Now the guide owns his own company called Himalayan Leisure. If u want then you can give him an email to ask your questions.

2) I also visited Tibet few times and the same guy arranged my trips. He works with some Tibetan agent to arrange the trips. I am sure that you will love both Tibet and Nepal. Both are totally different and amazing places and will surely be your memorable trip.

Good Luck!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Annapurna Sanctuary and Tibet logistics

1. People don't do Annapurna Base Camp on camping basis these days, if you are flexible with options then Number Cheese Circuit, Indigenous People Trail etc. are new trekking routes in non-restricted area. Camping will be nice option. In Annapurna Circuit if you want to camp a bit far from tea houses then even it won't be easy, not much of open space and villages are quite close from one to another.

2. Booking both with same company can give you better prices comparing to booking tours separately with two different companies [mostly but not always]. But you can ask for separate prices with the agents to make good deal or to company the prices and services.

5. Re: Annapurna Sanctuary and Tibet logistics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 05:16