We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel between kathmandu and pokhara

2 posts
Save Topic
travel between kathmandu and pokhara

I am looking at travelling to Nepal for the first time in December and would like to visit Pokhara from Kathmandu, and am wondering whether it is better/safer to fly or take a tourist bus? As far as I have researched I will pay about $10 for the bus and $100 for the flight, or are these prices incorrect? Is it reasonable to coordinate this myself or should I try and book this through a tour?

High Venture Plus
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Helicopter Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, City Tours
Mountain Monarch Adventures - Private Day Tours
Climbing Tours, Walking Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Other Outdoor Activities, Sightseeing Tours
Travel Maker South Asia
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Backpacker Treks and Expedition
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel between kathmandu and pokhara

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

The prices you mentioned are quite updated. I think the flight price is little increased lately but not much from the one you mentioned.

If this is your first time to Pokhara then take one way flight and one way bus. That will allow you to experience both sides. The flight is quite nice even it's expensive for 30 - 35 minutes flights.

Arranging yourself is possible once you come to Nepal. You better come to Kathmandu first and ask agents to book the flights in case you want to fly. If you take bus you can again ask an agent but doing yourself is possible as well.

Good Luck!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel between kathmandu and pokhara

Other than expense the main reason to take the flight is because it's faster and the views. If time is important to you that would be the main reason to fly. Safety is probably a wash between the two options. December is after peak season so you could just show up where the buses depart at Kantipath a bit early and you'll likely have your choice.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel between kathmandu and pokhara

Taking flight has advantage in many ways even it's expensive than taking bus. As there is nearly 6 hours different between flight and bus I think it will be idea to take flight at least for a way. If you are not tight with the schedule then taking bus both way is fine as well.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
695 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel between kathmandu and pokhara

we will be planning on flying one way to pokhara, probably 5 November. Are we best trying to get it prebooked to save time/ensure we get a flight that day? We will most likely bus back so can sort in Pokhara. thanks.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel between kathmandu and pokhara

Given that November is fairly busy it would probably be safer to pre-book, possibly using an agent.

Flying, particularly if you get an early morning flight, means that you can easily start a trek that same day - taking a taxi or bus to Khande then walking to Pothana (2 - 3 hours) or to Nyapul and walking to either Tirkedungha (2-3 hours, if you are headed for Ghorepani/Poon Hill) or Gandruk 4 hours).

Personally I think that Pokhara is best enjoyed as an after-trek chill out, so fly in, then return by bus.

One other alternative is to set up a package that includes transport (by car) from Kathmandu, half-day rafting on the Trisuli, then onward transport to Pokhara.

Ocala, Florida...
Level Contributor
9 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel between kathmandu and pokhara

I would definitely fly one way and take the land route the other. TOO long to travel 7 hours twice, but worth it one way for the fabulous views of the country.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
695 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel between kathmandu and pokhara

Thanks, I will definitely fly one way and return by bus the other.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel between kathmandu and pokhara

Hello there,

Enjoy the journey and definitely be careful too. Have a great trip ahead

9. Re: travel between kathmandu and pokhara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 05:16
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question