We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does one get hassled much by touts/guides etc.

vancouver
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Does one get hassled much by touts/guides etc.

Hello

Is we are just walking around Kathmandu/Lalipur/Bhaktpur as obvious tourists is there a lot of unwanted attention from touts/peddlars/people wanting to act as your guide that won't take no as an answer and will follow you round and continue to pester you?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does one get hassled much by touts/guides etc.

Not really. There are hashich sellers unfortunately.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does one get hassled much by touts/guides etc.

And a really major nuisance everywhere is the traffic, especially the motorbikes. Never one minute of peace except before 7 am. I hate it. It's my main argument against Kathmandu. I have visited Kathmandu in 1983 when it was all peaceful.

Jhumri Telaiya...
Level Contributor
321 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does one get hassled much by touts/guides etc.

I agree with Pierre W, first time I also visited Kathmandu in 1985, that Kathmandu can not be compared with today's Kathmandu full of Cars, Buses, you will see traffic jams, I can never forget Kathmandu I saw in 1985.

Pashupatinath Temple area was like visiting a very ancient city, passing through old streets and ancient old houses, now in that area, old houses have been broken and Temple area looks like a modern area, I feel very sad to see this.

Thanks

Alok

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
426 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does one get hassled much by touts/guides etc.

In my 2 trips to Kathmandu (2012 and 2014, both in winter = low season for tourists), the only place with persistent hasslers was Kathmandu Durbar Square. The other Durbars (Patan and Bhaktapur) were much less en-hassled.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does one get hassled much by touts/guides etc.

People will certainly try to sell you things – Hashish, Trekking Services, etc by day and less savoury things by night, but a Firm No is usually enough – It can become a little annoying, but only if you let it ;-)

Good Luck

Rob

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does one get hassled much by touts/guides etc.

I agree with Rob - a firm 'Thank you, but no thanks' normally is sufficient

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Does one get hassled much by touts/guides etc.

The only real irritation I have experienced re touts etc in Nepal was at Ktm Durbar Square, like Robert, especially when sitting or standing still and taking in the the general scenery. However I found, as posters above, that once I had politely made clear that I was not interested, the touts usually quickly moved on. I have also been offered hash etc (I don't use the stuff), but again it has not been irritating.

The traffic in Ktm is certainly a major irritant.

Much will also depend on what you are used to, or have previously experienced. For example Morocco, which I like, was for me far, far worse re touts, especially off season (when the small tourist focused shop units are often running out of cash).

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does one get hassled much by touts/guides etc.

I think it's a bit more than a firm "No thanks", especially in popular tourist spots like Thamel.

The lanes are narrow, the pavements congested, taxis or motorbikes or cycle rickshaws to contend with, cloned shops every few yards, hawkers, touts, fruit sellers. Worst of all are groups of tourists who walk 3 or more abreast with no consideration at all.

Avoid Thamel as a base, stay out in Boudha, and if you must just visit Thamel for a meal.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 22:44
vancouver
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Does one get hassled much by touts/guides etc.

Thanks for every bodies replies.

I had an experience in India once visiting an ancient site, it was simply impossible to get rid of people wanting to be your guide. No amount of polite, or firm, or angry, or sad, or eventually totally despondent reposes would get rid of them, and if you did by a miracle manage to get rid of one then another would have been watching and waiting in the sidelines and jump right in and the whole cycle repeats. Also going to the Taj Majal is like being swapmed by zombies.

Being followed round by a "tour guide" totally ruined things and I'd rather not go anywhere in the first place than go but have it ruined.

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Does one get hassled much by touts/guides etc.

Yeah just like any other places😁...the touts always there and trying their best to get that extra dollar...the best way to deal with them is just ask them to sit and have a chat...casual one...you will soon be making friends here in Nepal!