We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EBC trekking companies

Vernon, Connecticut
Level Contributor
109 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
EBC trekking companies

Hello,

I recently returned from Nepal in April from doing trekking in the Annapurna region and am dying to go back in the spring of 2015 to do the EBC trek. I am looking for an affordable reputable company to do this trek with. I don't want to spend a fortune, but would like to trek with a responsible, recommended company. I would prefer tea house trekking with breakfast, lunch and dinner included in the price, as opposed to tent trekking. I know there are sooooo many companies in Kathmandu and do not know how to pick out the reputable companies as opposed to the seedy companies. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Namaste!

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: EBC trekking companies

The guides I have done 5 quite long treks with, as well as their freelance/private work, also do a lot of work for a company called Itrek Nepal (my guides do not own any part of the Itrek). I have not used Itrek, but I have met the Nepali boss 4 times, and my main guide has worked for them for at least 10 years. They also have an American co-owner, whom I have not met (a regular poster on the Lonely Planet forum, whom I know well, has met the American guy), and they seem well established. I feel confident in recommending them, but there are lots of good companies. BTW I hire and pay my guides (who are brothers) directly - that is why I have not trekked with Itrek, not for any other reason. They are not the cheapest, I believe, but you tend, overall, to get what you pay for. Do be very wary of any firms offering unusually low prices or tight itineraries.

All the regular posters on this forum, and other forums, will, or should, know companies or individuals whom they are happy to recommend. Alanyeti, I think, has a list of firms recommended by some of the other regular posters.

Edited: 01 July 2014, 22:46
Vernon, Connecticut
Level Contributor
109 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EBC trekking companies

Thank you so much for your advice! I went with earthbound to the Annapurna region and they were amazing. I'm considering going with hem againto do EBC but for 16 days it is $3000 USD and that's definitely more than I want to pay. I got a great deal for Annapurna bc I found the deal on living social... If it comes down to it, I would rather pay a little more and go with a reputable company, rather than get a great deal and go with a seedy company and not get the whole EBC experience... However, I am still looking for a good deal with a reputable company...

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EBC trekking companies

I think US$ 3K for 16 days EBC is ridiculous, you must find an alternative. Standard packages are about US$ 1500 per person KTM - KTM including flights, guide and porters. It would be slightly different based on the services covered and not covered in the price.

Most regular members in the forum have their own recommended travel agency, you can message them and check their prices as well.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,005 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EBC trekking companies

I also think that $3.000 is Way over the Top for an EBC Trek

My own views are never to tie yourself into a trekking operator until you arrive in Nepal, then meet your trekking staff so that you are 100% sure that all is as it should be before you hand over your hard earned cash – Most popular treks can easily be organised within 48 hours of you landing, the only downside is that you can’t book your Lukla flight in advance, but April isn’t the busiest of months, so this shouldn’t be a problem.

Contact a few of the companies that are recommended by the trekkers who post on these boards and email a few of them so as to come up with a shortlist, so you aren’t overwhelmed when you arrive – DE Alanyeti has a list of these that I am sure he will happily supply you with

When hiring out “Staff” the secret of a successful trek is to set the ground rules Before setting off and these rules should include

1) Always interview your “Staff” Before you go trekking with them, Preferably get them to give you a walking tour around Kathmandu, Then they are away from the office, will be able to talk freely and you will be in a better position to judge their ability to communicate, character and if you are going to be able to get on well enough with them on your trek.

2)Ask if he has already trekked the route you are going on and how many times

3) Tell them that You Always retain the final say where you will stay and where and when you will eat.

Personally I am Happy to look at places recommended by my “Staff” (As I am aware that some places look after Nepali’s a lot better than others, better accommodation as well as better / cheaper food for them + if they get a little kick-back then as long as I am happy with the standard as well as the price that I am paying this doesn’t bother me)

4) I also mention to them that as long as I am happy with their services then they will get a Good Tip – I think this clears the air and gives your “Staff” that extra incentive to ensure that you are well looked after.

5) The agent that I use provides all his “Staff” with a mobile phone – I also think this is an excellent idea so that if there is a problem then (providing you have a phone Signal) these can be Quickly sorted out.

6) Before I start a trek is to have a rough schedule, then I know approximately how many days I will be trekking for, to this I usually add one buffer day, so If all goes according to plan I am usually back from my trek one day ahead, With this the agent that is use I can claim one days fees back, but in reality, as I have always been happy with my treks, I have never done this, but have ensured that my “Staff” are still paid the extra day.

Another system that the agent I use has is that if you want to extend your trek, if it takes longer than originally anticipated or if for what ever reason you are delayed then you can pay your “Staff” direct. This works well for everyone as the “Staff” in actual fact get more money as there is no agents commission deducted and as the agent has already had his cut he is (Or should be) happy as well.

7) It is also worth making 100% sure that your “Staff” are insured and that the agent is making sure that their clothing is up to the standard for the area / season you are trekking in.

It may sound like a bit of a list – But personally I think it is well worth that little extra effort at the beginning of your trek to help minimise potential unforeseen problems later :-)

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: EBC trekking companies

US$3,000 for 16 days for the Everest region does sound very high, but see some comments below.

Rough costs might be:

Flights to and from Lukla: now about US$330 for westerners - Nepalis (legally) pay about 40% of that. April is the second busiest trekking season, so the guide (and porter) may well stay up at Lukla between treks and meet clients on arrival at Lukla, rather than flying back and forth. This depends on how busy the guides are, and where their previous trek was. The two guides I trek with seem to trek in all the main trekking areas each season, though my main guide once stayed up in the Everest region for about 2 months continuously, so it varies.

Indicative costs for a trekker's food and lodging per day would be about US$25-30. Some indy trekkers manage on less than this, but the Everest region is the most expensive for lodge trekking in Nepal. Also there are a number of middle and high end lodges in the Everest region - you would need to look at whether these sorts of lodges are being used (where available - some are US$100 per person per night, or maybe more). There are still quite a lot of more basic lodges, but the range has broadened greatly in the past few years - more choice for consumers (not everyone wants to stay in really basic places), and it brings more money into the region. Camping would be more expensive, and I don't know any indicative prices - I have never been tempted to camp in Nepal, so have never looked into it.

Guide about US$25 per day, porter probably about US$18 per day in the Everest region - porters, unlike guides, almost never get free food and "room" in the lodges - these costs take a lot of their daily earnings. Guides are also starting to have to pay.

Permit and TIMS cards cost are about US$50 per person (I can't remember the exact figure - someone will know).

So 16 days at say US$30 per day, plus say US$43 per day for a guide and porter, so say US$75 per day, would mean US$1,200, plus say US$400 for flights, taxi, permits etc, plus the company's profit (elements of which could be in the guide's costs, for example).

Obviously some costs can be shared - a guide can guide a single person or as many as 20 (though large groups usually have assistant guides). So for two people the per person figures will change.

Aslo see how rigid the itinerary is (I strongly advise people to have loose, indicative itineraries), and what side trips are included or possible - all the main trekking routes have some really great side trips, which many of the organised groups, on fixed price packages, can miss out on. One example: the walk to Thame, from Namche, which is not especially strenuous, and Thame itself, are both very enjoyable and well worht doing - you could spend a night or two in Thame, and do some local day walks. There are many possibilities.

Vernon, Connecticut
Level Contributor
109 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EBC trekking companies

thank you all so much for your useful advice. i had the cost mistaken from the company i used to trek the annapurna region. it was $3000 if you wanted to stay in 5* accommodations (im guessing in kathmandu, bc im sure all the tea houses are similar on the EBC trek), but for 3* accommodations it is $1450, which sounds more reasonable. one other question i have is, do you still recommend not paying in advance even though i have used and loved the company i used before? also, i know the EBC trek is much more strenuous th!n the poon hill/annapurna region trek i did this year. if any one can direct me to any blogs, useful sites to prepare me, etc. i would be grateful. thanks everyone! namaste!

7. Re: EBC trekking companies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 November 2014, 09:07
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: EBC trekking companies

caravanhimalaya.com/index.php…

We are going to do our 3rd trip ( this time Everest basecamp) to Nepal 2015. With this small company it's from a guide we met in 2005.

He offers different kinds of tours and his prices are good.

Namaste :)

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: EBC trekking companies

Hi, did EBC trek October 2015 with a fully Nepalese owned company, Skyline Treks. Guide Binod with Assistant guide Sanjay, this company and these two guys are absolutely phenomenal. Cost just over 2000. not including tips. all costs including return flight to and from Lukla was included alond with all meals on the teahouse trek. Hope this info helps.

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: EBC trekking companies

Hi! I am curious on what company you ended up choosing for your trip? Looks like you are headed out soon if not already there - please let me know how it worked out and information you could provide! I am looking into going in September and there is just SO much information out there on companies! Thanks! :)