We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Kathmandu- away from the hustle and bustle?

Bateau Bay...
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Kathmandu- away from the hustle and bustle?

I'm heading to Nepal in November, I'll be in Pokhara for two weeks then having six days in Kathmandu to wind down before heading back to Aus. I've read Thamel and Kathmandu can be very full on- so I'd prefer to stay outside of all this insanity, but close enough that it's not a huge inconvenience to come into town and visit all the sites.

I looked at Gokarna Forest Resort, but it's way out of my price range. Any where else similar to this without the hefty price tag? Any recommendations are most welcome!

R K
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Kathmandu- away from the hustle and bustle?

Can you clarify what your budget is? Also, there are some trade offs involved in you being way on the valley outskirts, as traffic can really be a real pain in places. When you say you want someplace to wind down, would you be more interested in places on the valley outskirts- outside the ring road and in quiet areas but that would involve quite the trip (and higher transportation costs to the main Kathmandu sites), or would you prefer a place that feels quiet and peaceful but more centrally located- more like an oasis?

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Kathmandu- away from the hustle and bustle?

Bouddhanath offers some budget hotels if you can try. This is a nice place and I am sure that spending some nights here wouldn't be beautiful. Bouddhanath Stupa looks amazing specially in the early night. Kakani can be another option for you, not many people there. It's more natural than other places inside the valley. Bhaktapur is another option for you however it's in the middle of the city.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Kathmandu- away from the hustle and bustle?

Baudhanath is a nice place and there are many guest houses and some nice hotels as well. You can easily spend few nights there. You can try at Kapan monastery but it is not close from city. They have nice rooms with nice view. You need to book in advance if you wants to stay there. Bhaktapur, Patan and Nagarkot are other option.

Good luck!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Kathmandu- away from the hustle and bustle?

Chhaimale Resort in Dakshinkali can be one of the options. It is around 22km away from Kathmandu. it takes you 2hours for four wheeler and 1hr. 30min. for 2 wheelers. The resort doesn't have website yet but it is on facebook. It lies 6km beyond Dakshinkali temple on the way to Hetauda.

Other option can be Park Village Resort at Budhanilkantha. It takes Half hour or max 1hr to reach Kathmandu with well constructed Ringroad.

Hope you will find it helpful.

Cheers!

Bateau Bay...
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Kathmandu- away from the hustle and bustle?

I want to be away from all the craziness, but now that you've mentioned traffic and transport costs, maybe i should just bite the bullet and stay in the central thamel area. My budget isn't backpacker, for 5 nights accommodation the max I wanna pay is $100 per night.. I know I can get good hotels around thamel in this price range.

I'm also concerned about earthquakes in the Kathmandu area, if I'm in the centre of kathmandu there's a higher chance of injury because of the poor infrastructure.. And scientists are predicting a magnitude 9.5 to strike kathmandu soon- whilst this fear may sound crazy, it's not irrational- in fact the Australian government has mentioned this on smart traveller.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in Kathmandu- away from the hustle and bustle?

There is no need to pay anything like $100 a night for a decent hotel; in fact if you choose carefully, you can find really good hotels for around $25 a night.

I now stay at The Kathmandu Prince, this is located in Chhetrapati which is only a 10 minute walk from the centre of Thamel – So away from the “Madness”, but close enough to walk in to take advantage of the restaurants, shops and bars there

You can read their reviews on here at tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g293890-d4570…

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
987 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in Kathmandu- away from the hustle and bustle?

You could also consider the Summit Hotel in Sanepa, Lalitpur. It is a 15-20 min walk from Patan Durbar Square and you can walk to Thamel in 40-45 mins. A taxi to Thamel would take from 10-20 mins depending on traffic and should cost about 200 rupees or $2. There are also a number of places to stay near Patan Durbar Square. You can easily get to Swayambhu and Boudhanath from these areas.

Hobart Tasmania
Level Contributor
4 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in Kathmandu- away from the hustle and bustle?

Hi. I am a frequent traveler to Nepal, and for my last two trips I've stayed in Kathmandu at the Samsara Resort Hotel. It's on the edge of the Thamel area, at the end of a secluded little dead-end street, out of the main noisy hustle and bustle but only five minutes' walk to the heart of this exciting restaurant and shopping area. I've stayed in three other places in Kathmandu, but Samsara is by far the best. It has an 'up-market' feel to it but is still very affordable. Rooms are clean with everything you could want, staff are lovely, there is wifi and a cocktail bar, good food, and a lovely large garden area outside to sit and meet friends or have a drink. Email is samsara@wlink.com.np. Website is www.samsararesort.com. I highly recommend it.

Hobart Tasmania
Level Contributor
4 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel in Kathmandu- away from the hustle and bustle?

I've been travelling to Nepal frequently since 2001. The earthquake prediction has been around all that time. I worried about it the first few times I visited the country, especially since I previously lived in Papua New Guinea where I was familiar with earthquakes and aftershocks. However, six Nepal trips on, I don't even think about it now! Unless you too plan to be a frequent visitor, relax and have the most amazing trip without stressing about the earthquake - you'd have to be unlucky if it happened to hit just at the time you were there!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel in Kathmandu- away from the hustle and bustle?

Thamel won't be that 'crazy' in Nov.

Hotel Silver Home is off the main streets, so is pretty quiet. $10 for a double (2013) with haggling.