We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise for trekking Annapurna Circuit

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vail, Colorado
4 posts
Save Topic
Advise for trekking Annapurna Circuit

I am a female traveling to Nepal alone. I was told by friends to hire my own porter so I can go at my own pace as it is more affordble than trekking companies that go in groups. Is this safe and how do I find a reputable porter. Also I live in Colorado and hike high peaks, is this trail to touristy? If I want to visit neighboring cities should I hire a taxi or take public transportation. I don't want to draw too much attention to myself.

If anyone reading this will be in Nepal for the month of November please reply as well.

Norfolk
3 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Advise for trekking Annapurna Circuit

I suggest the lady from Honolulu reads a bit more about the Maoists and the recent history of Nepal.

I would not advise a 20 year old woman to trek without a guide or at least someone with her. Most of the countryside is effectively not under government control.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Advise for trekking Annapurna Circuit

It's probably too late for ascme2ski, but anybody else reading this may want to find out more about the Trekking Registration Certificate (TRC) requirement that took effect at the end of October. In addition to the fee, I understand that trekkers now need to hire at least a porter or a guide from a licensed agency.

My girlfriend and I completed the AC and made a side-trip to Annapurna Base Camp (by ourselves, no porters or guides) just before these rules went into effect. Yes, there are Maoists, but the only time we recognized them was at their 'tax collection' checkposts. They collected a non-negotiable 100 rupees per person per day (for a minimum of 12 days), and issued a receipt which was checked near the end of the hike. There were also a number of police and ACAP checkposts, where you need to register your name and passport details, at several places along the hike.

13. Re: Advise for trekking Annapurna Circuit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2007, 19:18
B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Advise for trekking Annapurna Circuit

I did Annapurna Circuit last year with my husband and we had the best guide & porter. I would not do it without - they add so much value, especially if you do not speak the language, and you can help them financially. I would suggest minimum $10. per day for porter and a bit more for a guide. Remember, a couple of dollars a day for us is relatively cheap compared to what it can give to them.

Our guide was Kamal, who speaks English well and his email is regmi_kamal@yahoo.com

The trek was amazing and I'd do it again !

char

Auckland
3 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Advise for trekking Annapurna Circuit

Hi, I, a male 57 yrs, did the A/Circuit (27days) solo and , as advised by a LP, guide carried a 12kg backpck: everything meticulouly weighed. Perfect advice. Probably cld have reduced by about 1kg. but no more. What advice does one give for a girl tvlg alone. You cld do it ok , since u said that u hve done some strenuous treks ., Also there are always others on the trail u can team up with. But it will be very busy in nov and this is where a porter/guide wld be good idea. They can go ahead and get a htl room for you. ( not necessary when I did it (March) . I hired a porter , 1st time for the ABC trek (12days) and to be honest, it was def, more enjoyable. The going rate seems to be about USD12.00 perday all incl (ignore the books ). Guides/porters avail everywhere. Don't hesitate to ctc me if u need more info ... . peterhorwell@xtra.co.nz

16. Re: Advise for trekking Annapurna Circuit

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2007, 19:18
17. Re: Advise for trekking Annapurna Circuit

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 06:23