We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tihar Festival in Pokhara

Cape Town
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Tihar Festival in Pokhara

Hi there

We'll be finishing up our Annapurna trek and will be in Pokhara for 18th, 19th and 20th October. What would you recommend to make the most of the festival. Best places to visit where there will be celebrations? We'll be staying in Lakeside.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Pokhara
Pokhara
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
4-Days Amazing Short Trekking of...
3 Reviews
from US$170.00*
Free Cancellation
Annapurna Base Camp Trek with...
1 Review
from US$299.00*
Private Sightseeing Tour of Pokhara...
3 Reviews
from US$102.00*
Free Cancellation
4 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tihar Festival in Pokhara

Glad to know you are interested in Tihar Festival. There are different days dedicated to different celebration. However, the interesting day might be (Luxmai Puja 19th, and Bhai Tika 21st) However, there are different ways that tourist may enjoy taking part in this occasion.

19th October: Luxami Puja; It is also called Dipawali After the sun goes down each family, hotels, an enterprise they prepared to welcome Luxmi (The god of wealth). This is probably the best evening to walk around and observed how Nepali people celebrate this festival. The city will be brightening and full of colourful night.

21st October Bhai Tika: Something to very important you should know about Bhai Tika is a family get together, exchange love and prosperity in between sisters and Brothers. In order to involve directly to the Nepali family, in this festival, you should probably find someone (probably your guide) who is willing to bring you in their festival. When I was guiding I used to bring tourist friend like you in my hometown to celebrate this festival with my sisters and brothers.

You can find more information about Tihar festival and different days value in this link https:/…

I hope this helps

Raj

Cape Town
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tihar Festival in Pokhara

Thanks so much. And would it be best to wander around In the area north of lakeside in the Bazaar area as that would be more authentic? Or will Lakeside be good?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tihar Festival in Pokhara

Say out of Lakeside better be in the country side. There will be noise, smog and drunk drivers.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tihar Festival in Pokhara

I would still recommend Luxami Puja night in Lakeside Even If you live outside you can make it an evening walk around Lakeside.

Reply to: Tihar Festival in Pokhara
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted