We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4-5 days trek with some horse riding from Pokhara ?

Which Pokhara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
4-5 days trek with some horse riding from Pokhara ?

Hi,

we plan to visit Nepal as a family End next April.

I have roughly planned the itinerary:

- Katmandu 1 or 2 nights,

- Pokhara 6 or 7 nights,

- rafting on Lower Seti river with Rapidrunnerexpeditions, 1 night in a tent

- Chitwan 3 nights,

- Katmandu 1 night

We would not mind to self-organize part of the trip, as we sometimes have specific ideas which lodge we want to stay in (e.g. Sapana Village Lodge in Chitwan).

I am asking for your help to provide suggestions for the 'heart' of the trip: the trek from Pokhara. This should include approx 4 nights in lodges outside of Pokhara, plus a night before and after each in Pokhara.

We have two children (experienced in hiking Mountains in Switzeland, fitness level of a 10 and 13 year old). Our idea was to do Horse Riding on maybe two days of the trek (we have done some horeseback riding elsewhere). This is to aovid that the children get bored on some long sections...

Question: Which TOUR would you recommend? The lodges during the trecking should be of higher standard. It would also be nice to experience the differnt climate zone, that is we would love to go 'up' a bit.

Question: Is it a good idea, and is it possible to combine some horseback riding with hiking on the same multi-day-trip ? What would you start with, e.g. horseback riding in the lower section when leaving Pokhara?

Question: What OPERATOR would you recommend? We have seen various operators but are unsure whom to contact. One issue is that many just write "overnight in a lodge" and I have no idea what lodge to expect as I can not look it up on tripadvisor ;-)

Any suggestions are greatly welcomed !

Many thanks

Alex

Kathmandu,Nepal
Level Contributor
473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4-5 days trek with some horse riding from Pokhara ?

Hi Alex,

I would recommend you Ghorepani trek or Jomsom Muktinath trek. As you told different climate zone would be Jomsom Muktinath via Beni Tatopani{hot spring}. This trek would take about 6 nights and fly back to Pokhara from Jomsom. But this route run buses and jeeps somewhere can trek beside road. And Ghorepani trek normally 3 nights if you do not trek to Pothana side. As your plan for 4-5 nights, you can trek Tikhedhunga, Ghorepani, Ghandruk, Pothana{4 nights 5 days}. This trek known as Annapurna Panorama trek. And lodges are enough facilities for trekkers but depends on personal expectation...

Yes, there are some multi day trip. If you choose Ghorepani trek the can go to Poon hill from Ghorepani and at Ghandruk village... And in both route can get horse at first day...

There are about 800 trekking agencies associated with TAAN {Trekking Agencies Association of Nepal}. Of course, this is difficult to choose and reputable as well as well experienced since decade...

on Sep 2011 I had horse rider clients for Jomsom Muktinath trek as I suggested you above itinerary.

The system of Tripadvisor not allowed to recommend directly trekking and tour operators... if you do not mind leave PM.

Guide

2. Re: 4-5 days trek with some horse riding from Pokhara ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2013, 13:08
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4-5 days trek with some horse riding from Pokhara ?

Day 1: By road to Nyapul. Trek to Tirkedungha.

Day 2: Long ascent to Ghorepani

Day 3: Trek to Tadapani

Day 4: Trek to Ghandruk

Day 5: Trek to Nyapul and by road back to Pokhara

would give you a good range of different landscapes, and good views of the mountains (weather permitting !)

Lodges in the area include some of very good quality

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4-5 days trek with some horse riding from Pokhara ?

Many thanks for your feedback.

To me, the Ghorepani – Ghandruk Loop Teahouse Trek looks great, probably with a morning climb of Poon Hill.

That is sometimes called the small Annapurna Circuit, right?

Has anybody had any practical experience of doing some of those sections with horses?

A) One possibility would be small horses/donkeys for the two children, only only and everybody else would walk.

B) The other option is the whole group on horses...

Any feedback is greatly welcomed.

Alex

Edited: 02 November 2012, 23:19
Kathmandu, Nepal
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4-5 days trek with some horse riding from Pokhara ?

aerjukhgmb brh

Kathmandu, Nepal
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 4-5 days trek with some horse riding from Pokhara ?

HiAlex,

Ghorepani – Ghandruk Loop Teahouse Trek looks great, sure early morning hike up to poon hill is so nice to see sun rise over the himalayas, golden view & after poonhill back down & breakfast..& next place to walk Tadapani,

it is better to go from Naya pul to till ghorepani by horse.(it is 2 days), after ghorepani better to walk through tadapani & ghandruk...by horse easy to go up but when you come down by horse..not very easy..down hill by horse..not very fit. only the horse can carry you.they are Profesnel , but by dunky not good idea, only they can carry some thing..not man,so i think is better 2 days by horse & 2 days trek on foot, so 2 days horse trek 4 people not only kid & other days trek.

I have done such a this kind of trip 4 times, i arrange Recently this people Hyw, poli Noami (adge 7 years)

Dain (10 years).there was 4 people from uk,

Namaste,

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4-5 days trek with some horse riding from Pokhara ?

I hiked the annapurna circuit one year ago. I The lodges between pokhara and poon hill are the nicest. This strength is the most populated. There are many very nice lodges because there is donkey access to carry everything. We had glass windows, and sufficient mattressess, and hot water shower and toilet down the hall. Electricity at certain times, and a heater in the main/eatting area. This Very icy in January, but should be comfortable in April. Our trouble was GI illness so be prepared for that, in general in nepal/India.

8. Re: 4-5 days trek with some horse riding from Pokhara ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2014, 07:17