We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in Pokhara and Kathmandu in Nepal, in Dec mid

Which Pokhara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Abu Dhabi, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
weather in Pokhara and Kathmandu in Nepal, in Dec mid

We are planning to travel on a visit to Pokhara and Kathmandu on the 18 th of DEc ,hence could u tell me what the climate would be and what precautions do we have to take before our travel.What should we carry? Is it possible to get some good winter clothes from there( Kathmandu... as we r staying at Kathmandu first,then proceeding to Pokhara)should we carry thick inner wears too???

Planning to stay at Yak and Yeti...Is that a good hotel? and how is it best to travel to Pokhara? by the bus or arrange a good innova? If so which transport is good? We r planning to return by flight to Kathmandu.which flight should we take? Guide us.

MJ

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,681 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in Pokhara and Kathmandu in Nepal, in Dec mid

Hallo,

- for climate you can check here: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-s208/Nepal:We…

- You can rent winter clothes in Kathmnandu if you need

- Yak and Yeti it's a luxury hotel, I think you'll have a good service there.

- to go to Pokhara you can take the geenline bus http://www.greenline.com.np/rates.php or rent a car but it's expensive (around 90 to 120 USD), about the air company from Pokhara to Kathmandu I cannot suggest you if one it's better than others. My flights have been good till now ;-) so I don't have any preference

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in Pokhara and Kathmandu in Nepal, in Dec mid

Look at the link (as mentioned above).

The temperature figures for Kathmandu, December,

average minimum temperature 3 degrees, average max 19 degrees

For Pokhara, average minimum 8, maximum 20.

Day-times pleasant (at least for a Brit), t-shirt and light fleece jacket.

I've flown between the two with Buddha Air on several occasions. No problem, quick and efficient

Jhumri Telaiya...
Level Contributor
321 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in Pokhara and Kathmandu in Nepal, in Dec mid

Hi

It will be cold in Kathmandu in Dec (since you are coming fro Abu Dhabi), Pokhara will be better, you can buy good quality winter clothes in New Road area or Thamel in Kathmandu, North Face showroom is also in Thamel Kathmandu. Bring woollen innerwears also.

Thanks

Alok

Kathmandu
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in Pokhara and Kathmandu in Nepal, in Dec mid

Averages for Kathmandu in December

December is the beginning of the winter season.

The average high temperatures are around 15°C (about 59°F) reaching highs on average of 21°C (70°F) and dropping to an average minimum temperature of8°C (46°F).

During the winter, nights can get quite chilly, generally dipping to the freezing temperature, so make sure you have warm clothes with you, including thermals and potentially a blacket or thick sleeping bag.

It is adviseable to make sure that your hotel provides you with a heater in the room.

The visibility during this month is quite good as well, and, as a result the trekking enthusiasts are around in Kathmandu.

This period is also ideal for hiking and walking tours as the visibility is better than at other times of the year and there is not the same expectancy of rain as at other times of the year.

Moreover, December in Kathmandu also receives 8 to 9 hours of sunshine daily on average throughout the month. Expect fog during the morning.

You can buy warm cloths from trekking stores in Thamel, a tourist hub

Yak and Yeti is a good hotel.

There are few options to go to Pokhara fly or drive. You can either hire a car with driver or by tourist bus (Greenline)

You can fly Buddha Air or Yeti air too.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,619 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in Pokhara and Kathmandu in Nepal, in Dec mid

Daytimes tend to be warm and sunny in Kathmandu, Chitwan and Pokhara but when the sun goes down it gets cold quickly – Some restaurants have open fires on their terraces so it can be nice sitting outside around them, but you will need a fleece jacket.

Trekking is good, but it can get very Cold at altitude so good kit is required.

The yak and yeti is well rated, although as it is out of my price range, I have never stayed there.

Buying warm clothes in wither Kathmandu or Pokhara is both simple and cheap, so no problems there ;-)

If it were me I would go by road at least one way from Kathmandu to Pokhara, either Tourist Bus or private car, if you opt for the latter you could do a side trip to Bandipur or even ride the cable-car up to Manakamana temple

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

6. Re: weather in Pokhara and Kathmandu in Nepal, in Dec mid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 13:32
7. Re: weather in Pokhara and Kathmandu in Nepal, in Dec mid

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 13:32
8. Re: weather in Pokhara and Kathmandu in Nepal, in Dec mid

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 05:20