We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Advice Needer!

Which Pokhara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
314 reviews
Save Topic
Another Advice Needer!

Hiya!

My boyfriend and I are hoping to do the Poon Hill trek starting in Nayapul, which I've also seen labelled as Ghorepani, too. I am hoping to allot 4 days. Based on what I have read this seems reasonable, yes?

Would someone be so nice as to provide a good itinerary with town names of where we would be sleeping?

Also, does one need a permit before arriving?

Is there a good map to buy somewhere, and along those lines, is this trek perfectly suitable to do without a guide or would one get lost easily and the sorts?

For now, I think that is all. Thank you!

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Advice Needer!

Hello vertrude,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

Poon Hill Trek is also know as Ghorepani Trek which is doable in 4 days but many people prefer to make it in 5 days. If you have time then 5 days would be a comfortable option however if you are tight with your schedule then you can do in 4 days too.

Sample itinerary will be:

1 - Drive Nayapul, trek to Hile, Tikhedhunga or Ulleri

2 - Trek to Ghorepani

3 - Poon Hill climb in the morning, trek to Tadapani or Ghandruk [If you plan to reach Ghandruk then it will be quite a long day]

4 - Trek to Syauli Bazaar [use a jeep if available], if no jeep in Syauli Bazaar then trek to Nayapul and return Pokhara

You will basically need two different permits:

Annapurna Conservation Area Entry Permit: US$ 20 [as per the current rate / approx] NRS 2000 / per person

TIMS Card - US$ 20 if you plan to trek without an agency

Downloadable map for Annapurna:

…umbra.cz/img/map/Annapurna_1_125000_150_dpi…

You can buy maps in Kathmandu and Pokhara, lots of book shops are available there.

The trek is doable without a guide too. A guide is not compulsory but using a guide will support local economy and also help you to understand the customs here.

Good Luck!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Advice Needer!

Thanks for the welcome and information! Helping the local economy is always a good thing. With that said, how does one get a lot guide? Is it something you arrange prior to travelling or while you're there?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,043 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Advice Needer!

There are a number of ways to find a guide but an important consideration is to meet any guide before committing so you can check his (usually) knowledge, experience and language skills, You will also have have an opportunity to meet them to see how you will get on.

I suggest getting recommendations for Pokhara based trekking agents/guides, contacting a few by email, see what they have to offer and draw up a short list of agents (2 or 3 say) to visit when in Pokhara when you can meet a few guides before deciding.

Pokhara based trekking agents are listed here, TAAN-registration is an important consideration):

http://taanpokhara.org/members-directory.php

Sorry, don't have a recommendation. Good luck.

scoodly

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Advice Needer!

Hello again vertrude,

I always try to welcome members when I reply to threads.

Anyway, it's not difficult to arrange a guide in Nepal. Some travelers prefer to arrange one when you are here and some prefers to arrange before you arrive. The choice is yours. If you want to arrange your trip once you are here then there are lots of agencies in Kathmandu and Pokhara. You can enter to their offices and ask for the quotations. Compare the prices and services and select the one that suits you.

Good Luck!

Asia
Level Contributor
111 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Advice Needer!

Sorry, I also have very similar/related questions as vertrude about this trek. So I hope it's ok if I post my questions here as well.

1. I will be traveling alone in October and my plan is to hire an independent guide/porter. How do I get the ACAP/TIMS permits on my own? Or do I have to go through the agencies?

2. Anyone knows the going rate for the drive to Nayapul?

3. Is insurance a mandatory requirement to trek in Nepal?

As mentioned earlier by Rhythm D, "Trek to Syauli Bazaar [use a jeep if available], if no jeep in Syauli Bazaar then trek to Nayapul and return Pokhara".

4. How much time do you save by taking the jeep? Anyone knows the going rate for the jeeps?

Many thanks in advance for your time!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,043 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Advice Needer!

Hi

1. If you are hiring a guide/porter then he should obtain the TIMS card and he will need contacts with a TAAN-registered agency to do so. This is because the correct TIMS card is the 'organised trekker' one which must be obtained by/through an agency. This costs $10 plus a possible charge by the agency/guide. The guide can obtain the ACAP ticket for you too though you can get this yourself.

2. Don't know.

3. Insurance is not mandatory (though some agencies will insist on it) but a sensible idea.

4. Don't know.

scoodly

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Advice Needer!

Time saved: probably around 2 hours (as long as you're not having to wait around for a jeep !)

France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Advice Needer!

Hello onefinesunday,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

01, If you are planning to hire a guide on your own then probably he/she will arrange one for you. You can also get TIMS and ACAP permits from Nepal Tourism Board office Kathmandu or Pokhara.

02, May be about 15 - 20 US$ for a private car but don't know the fixed amount.

03, Not compulsory, for Poon Hill Trek you can probably travel without the insurance too.

04, Time is already mentioned by Alanyeti but not sure about the prices, never used.

Good Luck!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,043 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Advice Needer!

1. Avoid possible hassles at the checkpoints and remain within the law by obtaining the correct TIMS card. If you hire a guide the correct TIMS card is the 'organised trekker' which cna only be obtained through a trekking agency.

For clarity.

scoodly

Asia
Level Contributor
111 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Advice Needer!

Thanks guys. This is actually my first trek so I'm still trying to figure things out. So pls bear with me here.

Based on the responses above, it sounds like the independent guide/porter will still make contact with an agency to issue TIMS card. The thing is I would prefer to hire a 1-on-1 guide on a daily basis. I'd like to go on my own pace and avoid any groupings (which I initially thought will most likely happen if I go for an agency). Should I be concerned bout this in the first place? Can I actually hire a 1-on-1 guide through an agency? Would it be more expensive this way? Can anyone share how is it like to hire a guide without going through agency? I seriously have no idea. I just thought it would be cheaper initially. Any recommendations/suggestions are most appreciated.

Besides hiring a private car to/from Nayapul, is there any other cheaper modes of transport to/from Pokhara? If yes, any idea how frequent and how long?

Many thanks again folks!