We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria medication?

Southampton
Level Contributor
9 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria medication?

We are spending 2 nights in the Chitwan area in November We will take mosquito precautions - Deet, long sleeves etc but do we need to take a course of malaria medication as well?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,320 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria medication?

Hi

In brief - no.

More info from CIWEC, a well-respected clinic in Kathmandu:

ciwec-clinic.com/health-information/…

scoodly

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria medication?

Hi

You dont need any malaria medication for 2 days chitwan trip but better to have some ante mosquito spray.

In November there will be not many mosquitoes too.

hope you will have good time with the Elephant.

Good Luck

Sali

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria medication?

ElizSouthampton.

Nobody knows your medical history better than your GP.

If I were you, 6 to 8 weeks weeks before you start your trip make an appointment with your local GP Travel Clinic.

Your [family?] appointment should be on a one-2-one basis

You'll be asked lots of questions, particularly about intended activities, lifestyle, and length of stay in any particular area.

Give lots of honest answers, and also discuss commonsense things like precautions against mossie bites.

Everything will be fed into a computer programme, and at the end you'll be given a fully personalised travel health brief MASTA (Minding Your Health Abroad), or similar.

This is a one-off health brief, valid only for the journey discussed at the consultation.

If you need to make a claim on your Travel Insurance then you would use the MASTA brief to support your claim.

The consultation should be free, it takes about half an hour, and it will definitely put your mind at rest.

For info, there are 4 UK standards, Diptheria, Tetanus, Hep 'A' and Typhoid, and all UK travellers should be in date for those before travelling anywhere.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,644 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria medication?

Whether to take Malaria Preventative when visiting Nepal is often a contentious issue, there are risks in not taking them, and also some risks in taking them - So whether you choose to take them, or not boils down to your own personal decision.

I aren’t medically qualified so any opinion I may have is purely my own and only based on my travels to Nepal

I have written up my own views on this link, if you care to read it ;-)

members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1d7fc1/

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

Chichester UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria medication?

Locals say no but you should follow advice of reputable UK health organisation such as MASTA or try asking your GP or you can go online to Lloyds or boots or other on line pharmacy and obtain advice and antimalarials there- it's easy and better to be safe than sorry

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria medication?

"Malaria advice for travelers to Nepal from CIWEC Clinic, Travel Medicine Center, Lazimpat, Kathmandu, Nepal

Although there are reports of about 5000 malaria cases with 10 deaths per year among the Nepalese, the risk for the average tourist or expatriate seems very low in Nepal. In the 26 year history of the CIWEC Clinic taking care of travelers and expatriates, there have only been 2 cases of Vivax malaria that may have been acquired from within Nepal. We believe that there is no malaria risk in Kathmandu, Pokhara or the mountain trekking areas. This being said, malaria does exist in the southern belt of Nepal (the Terai) and risk is highest in the hot, rainy summer monsoon

Chitwan, although it lies in the Terai, has a very low malaria risk. In the year 2002, there were 6000 cases of fever in Chitwan during the months of June and July. We recommend mosquito precautions but generally do not recommend any malaria medication prophylaxis for short visits to Chitwan national park even in the monsoon season.”

Personally on 4 visits to Chitwan I've not taken anti-malaria drugs.

Hope this helps

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria medication?

I've never taken malaria medication anywhere, but always take the proper precautions against mozzies, and give them as small a target area as possible.

Like I mentioned in #3 I'll always attend a Travel Clinic before travelling. The free consultation will cover a lot more than malaria.

Being in possession of a personalised MASTA travel health brief will put your mind at rest, and might also be necessary as a supporting document if you're unlucky enough to have to submit a claim on your medical travel insurance.

8. Re: Malaria medication?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2013, 16:55
Isle of Wight...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria medication?

Hello,

I am going to Nepal in early April, during my trip will be staying at chitwan national park for 2 days,I am confused I am not sure if I should take Malara medication? and if what is the safest to take?

Could you advise

Regards Andrew Lewis

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria medication?

#9 - look at the replies above, particularly #1,2,6,7

Get answers to your questions about Chitwan National Park