We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - 10D9N F&E Taiwan Trip (11 to 20 April 2012)

Singapore
13 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report - 10D9N F&E Taiwan Trip (11 to 20 April 2012)

Our family of 4 (All adults; Age ranging 19-52) recently came back from our maiden Taiwan trip, bringing back with us lots of precious memories.

The purpose of this trip report is to serve as a recollection of our journey & also, our way of giving back.

For those who're planning to visit Taiwan, we hope that our report will help you in your trip planning in one way or another. Although we're definitely not experts in Taiwan, seeing that this trip is a first for us, we'll try our best to answer them.

[SUMMARY]

Day 1 11-Apr-12 Wed

Singapore -> Taichung

Day 2 12-Apr-12 Thu

Taichung -> Sun Moon Lake

Day 3 13-Apr-12 Fri

Sun Moon Lake -> Cingjing

Day 4 14-Apr-12 Sat

Cingjing

Day 5 15-Apr-12 Sun

Cingjing -> Taroko/Hualien

Day 6 16-Apr-12 Mon

Hualien -> Kaohsiung

Day 7 17-Apr-12 Tue

Kaohsiung-Fo Guang Shan

Day 8 18-Apr-12 Wed

Kaohsiung -> Inside Taipei

Day 9 19-Apr-12 Thu

Outskirts Taipei

Day 10 20-Apr-12 Fri

Taipei -> Singapore

[FULL REPORT]

http://all-4-travel.blogspot.com/

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - 10D9N F&E Taiwan Trip (11 to 20 April 2012)

amy, million thanks for sharing your perfect and nice blog with us here. it bring back the nice memory of my two weeks whole taiwan tour last year. look like it's time revisit taiwan again, hopefully very soon. thanks again.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei, Taichung
Level Contributor
8,752 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - 10D9N F&E Taiwan Trip (11 to 20 April 2012)

Appreciate your sharing on how your trip went. Had been reading and viewing your blog the past days. Your trip report is well documented with detailed information and photos. Your efforts in putting up the trip report would certainly benefit fellow travellers to Taiwan.

Glad you had enjoyed exploring and discovering the places you visited. It is certainly more exciting and adventurous to venture on your own. This is my personal experience.

Kluang, Malaysia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - 10D9N F&E Taiwan Trip (11 to 20 April 2012)

Hi. I really appreciate your sharing this piece of travelling news on Taiiwan.

We are a grouip of 8 persons who like do this adventure but not sure can do the way you did. Looks like you started the holiday to Taichung and not Taipeh. Why? and Taipeh last. Please share with us. What di you think if we

do the trip in a charted van ? We have 7 days to do the trip. Can you make any suggestion? Please help. Lim kaisim007@hotmail.com

singapore
Level Contributor
523 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - 10D9N F&E Taiwan Trip (11 to 20 April 2012)

So detailed, thanks for the report amylsl. I read from your report that you can buy TRA tickets on line and then collect and pay for the tickets at 7-11? Is this something new or you can do that all along?

Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - 10D9N F&E Taiwan Trip (11 to 20 April 2012)

To all,

many thanks for all your positive comments, which have definitely been very encouraging & are much appreciated. ^_^

[danielJBMY] & [taiwanDIY]

This year is definitely the year of Taiwan! So many people around us are planning to go/have already went there.

We definitely intend to re-visit Taiwan again (no idea when will that be... perhaps a few years down the road? =P), but this time most probably to the less touristy & more rural areas. =D

[kaisim07]

The reason why we didn't start off with Taipei, as opposed to the usual route, is cos we've forseen ourselves to go on a shopping spree there (& we're right! =P) & we don't want to lug our purchases throughout our entire trip. Hence, after countless attempts of arranging (& re-arranging) the best route, we decided to start off with Taichung instead.

I should also highlight to you that after our trip, we think that Taichung (especially Feng Jia Night Market) is comparable (or even better in our opinion) to Taipei in terms of shopping. There are just so many cheap yet quality things to see & buy! =D

For big groups, I think chartered van is perhaps the best option (no need to worry about transports, lugging luggages...), but you may most probably miss out on experiencing their local transport, eg. TRA.

If you wish to cover the exact same destinations as us, 7 days will definitely be too rushed (basically with only 1/at most 2 day at each stop). To better advise you, perhaps you can let us know what kind of trip are you planning? Scenery/shopping...?

[iranchoo]

I'm not sure if this practice is something new or can be done all along... This is what was advised to us by our Hualien minsu owners. Our TRA tickets was actually booked on our behalf by them.

For locals, online booking can be done first, then collect & pay for the tickets either at TRA stations or major convenience outlets (7-11, Family Mart, Hi-Life & OK-Mart). For non-locals, I think payment must be done together with the booking. Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong.

You may also wish to take note for collection & payment via convenience stores, a service fee of NT$8 per ticket (2 ways = 2 tickets) will be charged.

Edited: 28 May 2012, 15:49
Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - 10D9N F&E Taiwan Trip (11 to 20 April 2012)

amy, maybe for next trip you can plan to visit alishan, kenting, another round of kaoshiung esp cingjing lake, taitung and yilan. based to your blog, i think you missed out those places. to be honest with you, for my two weeks whole taiwan trip last year, i visited all county but some places really 'touch and go'. two weeks definately not enough for whole taiwan. really, it's time to plan again.

Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - 10D9N F&E Taiwan Trip (11 to 20 April 2012)

[danielJBMY]

Yes, we've indeed not covered these places this time round as there's simply not enough time. =( We're definitely looking forward to cover Alishan, Yilan etc in our next trip. =D

Edited: 29 May 2012, 02:13
Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - 10D9N F&E Taiwan Trip (11 to 20 April 2012)

Thanks, Amy, for a thoughtful, beautifully presented and informative report! It shouts out at me that I really need to overcome my concerns and Just DO It! Those concerns are about unfortunately being mono lingual English and plus aged slower moving than I would like.

You mention student discounts. Did you notice if there were any discounts for the students of life more than double age of 30? [ plus some more!]

Again, thanks for a great read and lots of food for thought.

Regards

Archi

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - 10D9N F&E Taiwan Trip (11 to 20 April 2012)

amy, wish you all the best for your next trip planning.

archi, i'm not sure about those discounts but maybe other members here can give some better idea about it. just to wish you all the best and hopefully you can make the trip soon.

Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - 10D9N F&E Taiwan Trip (11 to 20 April 2012)

[ArchiBrisbane]

I would think that F&E is still do-able, but perhaps it's best if you hired a private driver/guide, who can speak good English, for your entire trip. In this way, it minimises the language issue (actually most young Taiwanese do know some English but perhaps not fluent in it) & you'll still get to enjoy n learn about the country. I believe there's quite a few recommendations of such cabbies over here at TA.

As for your query on student discounts, I'm afraid we didn't notice any. =P Those utilising such discounts are either kids/teens holding student pass or those with the youth travel card (for those 30 years & below). If you've any valid student pass to prove, you can definitely try arguing your case. =D

By the way, similar concessions are also given to the elderlys (mostly aged 65 & above). =D

Edited: 29 May 2012, 07:45