We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taiwan Trip - Parent in wheelchair. Help and advise please.

Singapore
Level Contributor
59 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Taiwan Trip - Parent in wheelchair. Help and advise please.

Hi Everyone,

I am planning a family trip to Taiwan and hope to incorporate Hualien, Sun Moon Lake and Cing Jing farm into my itinerary over 7-8 days for 5 adults in December.

The issue is, my father-in-law has some mobility issues and will likely be travelling for the most part, in a wheelchair. He can walk with the aid of a cane but it will be slow-going and he will likely tire quickly.

I am thinking that getting our personal driver should resolve some of our mobility issues but wanted to know if the places planned make sense. For those of you who are familiar with the locations listed (Hualien, Sun Moon Lake, Cing Jing farm) - would these pose any challenges for my father-in-law? In some blogs I've read, I understand there are steps and hills in Cing Jing... And we are ideally looking to stay at a minsu for 2 days.

Are there other locations that I am unaware of that would be a better choice?

Want to make sure that he enjoys the trip. TIA! :)

Asia
Level Contributor
87 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taiwan Trip - Parent in wheelchair. Help and advise please.

Getting a driver will be a good idea . I am handicapped, need walking aid no wheel chair. Today my third day and my overall impressionis the place is not wheelchair friendly.

2. Re: Taiwan Trip - Parent in wheelchair. Help and advise please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2014, 13:00
Edited: 05 October 2014, 13:00
Singapore
Level Contributor
59 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taiwan Trip - Parent in wheelchair. Help and advise please.

Thank you for the replies. I'll check your blog springtw and continue my research. Any other suggestions and advice welcomed. :)

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
96 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taiwan Trip - Parent in wheelchair. Help and advise please.

Taiwan is not particularly wheelchair friendly. Some of the more expensive restaurants/hotels are more accommodating, but the places you are visiting are all outdoors, meant for nature lovers, hikers, etc. What sorts of activities does your father-in-law normally like to do? That may help us brainstorm for you :)

Taipei Taiwan
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei
Level Contributor
7,926 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taiwan Trip - Parent in wheelchair. Help and advise please.

Actually Taipei City is quite Wheel chair friendly. Most streets in the City area -the Side walks slope up to accommodate wheel chairs,Major buildings,Shopping centers, MRT stops have Ramps /Elevators -all MRT stations have Wheelchair Friendly Toilets -also the Major shopping centers.

Power Wheelchairs are allowed on the MRT and Many City buses also have Wheelchair access.

You will see many handicapped people going about alone in their mobility chairs unaccompanied.

6. Re: Taiwan Trip - Parent in wheelchair. Help and advise please.

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 13:28
7. Re: Taiwan Trip - Parent in wheelchair. Help and advise please.

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 05:16