We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

23 Hours in Taipei Review - EVA Air Overnight

Janesville...
Level Contributor
225 posts
511 reviews
23 Hours in Taipei Review - EVA Air Overnight

I wish the subject line read "our week in Taipei," but we only had the 23 hour layover from Denpasar headed back to Chicago. I think there's a strong possibility we will return next year for several days in Taipei, the little we experienced was amazing.

If you find yourself connecting through Taipei overnight with EVA Airways as we did this week, please do yourself a favor and go see Taipei. Our flight arrived from Denpasar around 9:15PM on Monday. The departing flight to Chicago was 8PM on Tuesday, more than enough time to see a sliver of this beautiful city. My wife and I booked a standard room at Hotel Relax I, conveniently a five minute walk from Main Station and TPE MRT. Due to the arrival time, we found a taxi from the terminal and 35 minutes, $30 USD later we arrived. The following afternoon we used the TPE MRT back to TPE, I think it was $14 USD for two adults one-way. Highly recommend this service, easy to use and you'll see more of Taipei as you're departing.

With a handful of hours to sleep, the next morning we decided to see what I consider a marvel of engineering and incredibly beautiful, Taipei 101. I know there's probably 15 other things people would recommend, but with limited time and no knowledge of Taipei this was a great fit into our schedule. Using the Taipei metro system is very easy, English is not an issue to navigate the ticketing kiosks or metro itself. Taipei 101 was amazing, well worth the visit despite 80% cloud cover. Accessing the observatory is a bit of a labyrinth as you navigate through a mall and series of escalators and elevators. My wife and I spent about 90 minutes walking around the observation floor, having coffee and taking in the city between clouds. We had no idea what a damper was in a structure, but now have a fond appreciation for dampers and their babies :)

Following our visit to Taipei 101 we slowly returned to Hotel Relax I where they will hold your luggage after check-out. Fortunately our checked bags were held over by EVA Air, so our two backpacks and laptop bag were easily managed. The TPE MRT is fast, affordable and very comfortable as we you begin transiting back home. Our 23 hour layover was realistically 14 hours in the city, but well worth it. We hope to return next winter and explore more of this incredible city.

21 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
228 posts
244 reviews
1. Re: 23 Hours in Taipei Review - EVA Air Overnight

First-hand info is always gold to fellow travellers. Thanks for sharing!

Edited: 12 March 2018, 14:26
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
70 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: 23 Hours in Taipei Review - EVA Air Overnight

Great post! We have 4 full days in Taipei. We get there this Saturday night around 9 pm from LAX. We are staying at a "Hello Kitty" airbnb right by Taipei main station. We are traveling with our 2.5 yr old and 8 month old boys :)

Trying to figure out if getting a cab is best at the time or the MRT? Depending on what mode of transportation you took, how long did it take you to get to your hotel?

Thank you!

Janesville...
Level Contributor
225 posts
511 reviews
3. Re: 23 Hours in Taipei Review - EVA Air Overnight

Thanks! There's ample Hello Kitty opps around Taipei, many more than I could have ever thought of at TPE: check in counters, dedicated themed gate, gift shop, so enjoy it all. I would recommend taxi for the later evening arrival, fares were much better than expected when we arrived. We used the TPE MRT on departure, direct to airport, easy to use and half the cost of taxi. From TPE to Hotel Relax I (near Main Station) was approx. $35 USD and that included a tip for 30 minute cab ride. TPE MRT back to TPE was approximately $7 USD per adult.

Just as a thought, you could use TPE MRT and the main check-in for the return flight. At the rail terminal they will issue your flight tickets and check bags saving time at TPE.

Hope that helps!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
1 post
4. Re: 23 Hours in Taipei Review - EVA Air Overnight

Thanks so much for the just post! I have your exact travel plan and days for my flights. I wasn’t sure if EVA would hold onto my luggage overnight. Great to hear. I’ll take my carry-on and go explore Taipei for the night. I’m planning on doing the free city tour in the morning.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
7,439 posts
447 reviews
5. Re: 23 Hours in Taipei Review - EVA Air Overnight

Eva Air can also give you a free transit hotel although they dont advertise this fact

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: 23 Hours in Taipei Review - EVA Air Overnight

How do you go about getting the free transit hotel?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
7. Re: 23 Hours in Taipei Review - EVA Air Overnight

I would like to know the same. I have a 24 hour layover on Eva Air soon.

What hotel is it? Any good? Is it inside the airport?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,691 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: 23 Hours in Taipei Review - EVA Air Overnight

you get a free hotel only if the shortest possible transit involves overnight, for example DPS - TPE - YYZ / JFK / ORD, not because you CHOOSE to overnight.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
9. Re: 23 Hours in Taipei Review - EVA Air Overnight

Mine qualifies. DPS - TPE - JFK

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: 23 Hours in Taipei Review - EVA Air Overnight

So does mine. Though I called the airline and you still need to book first and then ask if you qualify. I would call and sort it out. Good luck!

Reply to: 23 Hours in Taipei Review - EVA Air Overnight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted